Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, you also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Myanmar has experienced more than six decades of internal conflict and violence, with the most recent conflict in Rakhine state causing over 650,000 Muslim people to flee to bordering Bangladesh and thousands estimated to have been killed at the end of August 2017. On top of this, Myanmar has one of the highest risk indexes in the world and northern Rakhine state is particularly exposed to hazards such as cyclones and seasonal flooding. Over the past 10 years the people of Myanmar have endured three powerful cyclones, two significant earthquakes, heavy flooding, and deadly landslides.
Field based position in Maungdaw, Rakhine State, Myanmar.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2018. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Design new project plans and implementation strategies in accordance with Sphere standards.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant in-country or HQ managers or to donors.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers and any other relevant bodies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meeting in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Monitor the spending to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines.
- Determine the staffing needs for all projects and participate in the recruitment process.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Ensure all staff members working for the designated projects and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or sector specific concentration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position in a relief environment.
- A broad understanding of activities undertaken in the WASH, Health and Nutrition Sectors.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Ability to be patient with bureaucracy and to live with uncertainty; diplomatic personality.
- Problem solving ability. Good negotiation skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-starter.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.