USP seeks a Project Director for an anticipated five-year U.S. Government-funded project building the capacity of diagnostic laboratories. The position, based in Malawi, is contingent upon project award.
The Project Director will provide operational leadership and management to all program activities and serve as team leader charged with day-to-day program implementation. The Project Director will ensure that the program produces the specified outcomes to the required standard of quality, within time and cost restraints, fulfilling all contractual obligations. In program implementation, the Project Director will closely collaborate with U.S. Government and non-U.S. Government supported programs and the Government of Malawi.
The Project Director will provide leadership to implement technical and monitoring and evaluation strategies, with oversight of project reporting requirements. Strategies include:
- Expand a cost effective national sample transportation system
- Expand access to quality HIV diagnosis and treatment monitoring services
- Build TB laboratory diagnostics capacity
- Support molecular laboratories to achieve accreditation
- Advanced degree in scientific or laboratory-related field, international development, or public health required
- At least 10 years’ experience in managing and implementing complex health programs in sub-Saharan Africa, specifically in a senior manager position.
- Knowledge on building HIV/TB laboratory diagnostics capacity, improving laboratory infrastructure and systems, SLMTA/SLIPTA, and mentoring laboratories to achieve ISO 15189 accreditation
- Proven experience working with Ministries of Health (MoH) and understanding of MoH systems at the national, regional, and laboratory facility levels.
- Experience working with U.S Government donor agencies and international and civil society organizations; demonstrated strong understanding of global health donor-funded programs (CDC, USAID, Global Fund, WHO or other donors)
- Ability to be based in Malawi
About the Organization
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in pharmaceutical science, quality control and quality assurance, and public health to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.