Jhpiego seeks a Program Director to provide vision, leadership and direction to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, and financial integrity for an upcoming US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)-funded HIV prevention, care and treatment project. It will include HIV prevention for priority populations, voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC), prevention of gender-based violence, HIV testing services and linkage to care, treatment and viral load suppression. The four-year project aims to strengthen the capacity of the Rwanda Defense Force (RDF) to achieve epidemic control among target communities.
The Program Director will have overall responsibility for leadership and management of the project and reporting of project activities in close collaboration with RDF. S/he will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and project technical quality and integrity. S/he will serve as the project’s main point of contact with RDF, the donor, government of Rwanda, and relevant stakeholders on routine and strategic matters. S/he will also ensure effective organizational management, collaboration and communication with the government of Rwanda at all levels, and international partners and agencies.
This position is contingent upon award from PEPFAR. Rwandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the project and to achieve rapid and sustained goals, objectives and targets
- Collaborate with project team to build capacity around VMMC, HIV prevention among priority populations, prevention of gender-based violence, HIV testing services and linkage to care, treatment and viral suppression
- Ensure the project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of Rwanda its people, RDF and donors
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the award
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with RDF, with the donor, government of Rwanda and other stakeholders
- Closely monitor progress towards PEPFAR-funded project targets, as well as national targets
- Represent Jhpiego and the project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors and other key stakeholders, through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Provide technical leadership and ensure the quality and sustainability of interventions
- Lead the annual work planning process in close collaboration with the donor, government of Rwanda, and project team
- Guide the analysis, synthesis and reporting of outputs and results in close collaboration with the M&E team
- Oversee the quality, preparation, and timely submission of project reports to the donor
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Write and/or review project materials and publications
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Work with M&E staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
- Work closely with Jhpiego home office staff to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure compliance with donor operational policies and regulations
- Advanced degree in public health, health administration, international health or a related field; medical degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in managing $5-10M HIV programs, including planning, design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Strong technical and programmatic knowledge and experience in HIV prevention, testing and treatment
- In-depth knowledge of PEPFAR projects, regulations, compliance and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated capabilities in institutional capacity building and experience working effectively with the government of Rwanda or other southern African country
- Experience in coordinating and collaborating with a broad set of stakeholders, including multi-lateral and international donors and local and international NGOs.
- Proven experience working with RDF is an asset.
- Experience working in Rwanda with intimate understanding of the local health system and HIV gaps and opportunities, and solid relationships at government agencies
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills in English
- Proficiency in word processing and Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.