Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Heifer International is working with private sector partners in a new project located in Andhra Pradesh, India, aimed at strengthening Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs), small and medium enterprises (SMEs) supporting their increase in revenue and so enabling smallholder farmers in closing the living income gap. Heifer is focused on long term development of the inclusive, pro-poor, market systems in Andhra Pradesh
The Project Director has a dual role.
· The major focus (75%) for the Project Director is leadership and management with the excellence of the current two-and-a-half-year project. In implementing, the Director will provide rigorous project management and ensure the provision of high-quality technical services, developing a strong platform of FPOs, SMEs, farmers, and service, technical and financing partners.
· During implementation, the Director will also work with vision in exploring the opportunity, relationships, and networks to shape the further development of an inclusive market system in the region, beyond the life of this initial project (20%). The Director will maintain some focus on future development towards sustainability that achieves scale, permanent change, and impact through long-term partnerships.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Drives results, stakeholder focus, manages complexity, balances stakeholders, resourcefulness, directs work, plans and aligns, manages conflict, interpersonal savvy, builds networks, communicates effectively, situational adaptability, enthusiasm, team player, respectful
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Program development and leadership (20%)
· Develop long term vision for Heifer’s further development of an inclusive market system in the region.
· Platform and networks established for continuing market system development beyond initial project.
· Landscape analysis to identify opportunities and plan how to capture and manage new funding and investments from government entities, private sector, philanthropy, contributions of the project participants, capital deployment, and other sources.
· Donor and public relations for Accelerating Incomes project and identification and cultivation of future potential resource base.
B. Project oversight and collaboration for partnership development and business strengthening among FPOs and SMEs (35%)
· Ensure the creation and implementation of actions to strengthen partnerships, build social capital, and networks at all levels to enhance the impact and sustainability of project interventions.
· Serve as an advisor in identification and analysis of economic and business models that will close the Living Income Gap.
· Advise on bankable and viable business plans considering inclusive market systems.
· Facilitate access to capital through lending facilities and alternative financial schemes.
· Facilitate the use and leverage of existing government schemes and packages to benefit FPOs/SMEs.
C. Project Management (40%)
· Responsible for providing leadership of the overall project and excellent management of the project scope, schedule, and budget.
· Effectively manage project risk throughout each phase of project implementation to ensure fulfillment of objectives
· Ensure monitoring, collaboration, learning, and adaptation processes are designed and used effectively.
· Ensure accountability and compliance for donor communication and relationship management, including responding to donor and other stakeholder questions related to project and project reporting.
D. May perform other duties as deemed necessary and as assigned (5%)
· Deliverables based on duties assigned.
· Master’s degree or equivalent in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, or similar disciplines.
· Minimum of 7-10 years of project leadership, including with private sector, managing large, complex programs on economic growth, livelihoods, or rural development.
· Experience working with governments
· Experience in FPO/SME development and management or positioning products in the market, and community development.
· Fluency in [Telegu and written and spoken English, is required.
· Complementary experience in micro-finance, proposal development, value/supply chain development, and integrated development issues.
· Experience in business development of FPOs/SMEs and in building partnerships with the private sector and others.
· Ability to transition projects to scale with a high degree of permanence of impact and to secure diversified funding.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Experience in financing instruments and access to financing.
- Experience in sales and marketing of products to support SMEs.
- Experience in entrepreneurship and strategies for increasing income diversification.
- Ability to manage remote teams across different cultures, contexts, and time zones.
- Experience of gender issues (awareness of and experience in women’s empowerment processes.)
- Experience in climate change resilience.
- Experience in prototyping/testing new innovations for learning and adaptation.
- Experience in participatory training methodologies.
- MS-Office: Word, Excel, PPT and Microsoft Project.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to communicate proactively with various levels.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and still meet deadlines.
- Conflict management and problem resolution.
- Capacity to lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Self-discipline and autonomous time management.
- Capacity for analysis and decision-making.
- Ability to learn about different topics and in different settings.
- Significant travel within project areas.
- Prolonged use of a computer or mobile device.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.