EnCompass LLC is seeking a Project Director for a forecasted USAID Bureau of Global Health activity, Health Systems for Tuberculosis (HS4TB), designed to leverage health systems strengthening approaches that can advance achievements in tuberculosis outcomes.
We are looking for someone who can facilitate learning and build relationships, with high political acumen and strong conflict prevent and management skills. S/he must be an inclusive leader, who can navigate change with flexibility and emotional resilience. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience focusing on results and impact, with strong strategic vision and an understanding of systems approaches to programming. S/he will understand how to foster a culture of continuous improvement and learning and will maintain high self-awareness and personal improvement skills.
The position is based at EnCompass headquarters, in Rockville, MD. The Project Director will be expected to work from the client’s site in the Washington, DC metro area, with significant international travel required.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Serve as the main point of contact for the task order, providing vision, direction, leadership, and management for the project. S/he will serve as the Contractor’s primary representative for all TO-related issues, concerns, or problems
- Provide technical, operational, and managerial oversight to all aspects of the program to ensure all activities, and deliverables are executed with quality and timeliness
- Establish and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with USAID Washington, USAID Missions, and relevant in-country stakeholders; serve as the primary point of contact for USAID and as the principal liaison with USAID staff, institutions, and country partners to exchange information and develop professional relationships
- Manage a global team, ensure technical capacity of staff; provide technical assistance and backstopping when required
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with EnCompass’ standard operating procedures, USAID policies and regulations, and national policies and laws
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening in support of the journey to self-reliance
- Ensure documentation and dissemination of findings, impact, innovations, and lessons learned
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass
- Ensure optimal use of human, financial, and physical resources to successfully meet project milestones, objectives, deliverables and targets
- Other duties as assigned
- Advanced degree in management, organizational development, international development, economics, statistics, epidemiology, or a related field is strongly preferred. Ph.D. preferred though not required
Experience and Skills
- At least 10 years of leadership experience managing global health projects, preferably for USAID/USG awards in low and middle-income countries (LMICs)
- At least 5 years managing the implementation of health systems strengthening activities globally
- At least 3 years of experience being physically based in a low or middle income country preferred
- At least 5 years of experience interacting with government and nongovernmental organizations in LMICs; work with US Government agencies, international donors, and/or multi-lateral agencies strongly preferred
- A solid understanding of, and ability to speak to, infectious disease epidemics globally, specifically tuberculosis
- A thorough understanding of knowledge management (KM) and collaboration, learning, and adapting (CLA), particularly as they relate to donor-funded global programming
- Prior experience as a manager of teams, project director, or Chief of Party working on complex donor-funded activities required, preferably over a large geographic area
- Capable of high-level analyses and supporting USAID Mission senior management in broad-gauged and big picture planning
- Strong communication, supervision, and management skills required
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; fluency and/or familiarity with another regionally-influential language greatly valued
How to Apply
Please complete the application and submit CV and cover letter
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.