Application Deadline: 14 July 2020
Post level: Internationally Recruited Staff
Type of contract: Fixed term 3 year (option to renew based on performance and budget)
Language(s) required: English (native/fluent writing and oral skills) and second language
ABOUT THE POSITION
Leading the Project Management team and working closely with research leads across the organization, the Project Management Lead will ensure projects are delivered with the highest research quality, best management practices and international standards including CGIAR performance standards in line with contractual requirements; on budget, on time and to the intended impact. The Lead’s responsibilities are multifaceted, though primarily, it provides leadership across the team, research leaders and project stakeholders to ensure effective integration of quality project management across WorldFish. This ensures the highest standards are maintained through a culture of continual learning and innovation. The scope covers all projects from global and country level aligned to the WorldFish strategy.
On a day to day basis, the Lead will proactively and systematically work with different teams, project leaders, and partners, to build a robust internal project implementation steps, well aligned with research quality standards and monitoring, evaluation and learning including project cycle management (PCM), integration with MEL (monitoring, evaluation and learning) and adaptive management. The role will interact closely with a newly established Business Development peer working at the design and development phase (pre-implementation) and is responsible for the following stages within the project cycle management:
- Project start-up - set up is fit for purpose and appropriate risks identified, controlled and mitigated; fully integrating research quality standards and monitoring, evaluation and learning processes;
- Project execution - implementation at each milestone is delivered on time, to a high standard and within budget requirements;
- Project closure - close-out is timely, managing risks, costs, resources; and
- Project follow-up - post-implementation review and document lessons learned.
Further, the post holder will look to foster and strengthen linkages and collaboration, at all levels, across the organization.
The successful candidate will:
- Oversight the implementation and delivery of all projects across the organization to ensure high quality delivery of all projects in compliance with organizational and donor requirements.
- Engage and collaborate with project leaders, research leaders and country directors across the organization and partners, with a specific focus on integrating high quality project management across the research and country program, to improve organizational performance, including on-time delivery of contractual milestones, research quality and performance standards and the management of organizational risk throughout the project lifecycle.
- Collaborate effectively with research teams focused on research quality improvement to ensure that corporate processes related to implementation and delivery are well integrated with the organizational requirements for the delivery of high quality research and impact.
- Convene and facilitate collaborative teams to build organizational and individual capacity to innovate, learn and strengthen performance in implementation and delivery, continually drawing and applying lessons for improvement, through an evidence-based approach.
- Lead the development of and enhance organizational project delivery system and tools, ensuring integration with other organization systems like monitoring and evaluation, research data management and the resources allocation system.
- In collaboration with the MEL and data management team, lead the development of and enhance organizational project delivery system and tools.
- Ensure data integrity of projects amongst different organizational platforms related to corporate data.
- Develop and implement effective business and cost efficiency and effectiveness strategies to ensure adoption of tools and mechanisms that support project delivery.
- Generate and use data to continually review and adapt service delivery, cost and operating model to ensure ongoing sustainability and effectiveness.
- Support Project Leaders in contract re-negotiations and extensions.
- Any other duties that may be required to improvement of project quality and delivery.
- Lead, manage and coach the team based on WorldFish leadership principles and performance management system.
This job might be for you if you have the following skills and experience:
- Degree holder in relevant business, management, economic or social science discipline with Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- At least 8 years progressive and diverse experience in advanced program and project management skills, strong analytical abilities, and familiarity with research discovery and development processes.
- Broad, proven experience successfully coordinating and facilitating the research project management life cycle, including initiation, development and implementation.
- Demonstrated innovative and impactful team leadership skills with strong coordination and teamwork skills; leveraging various styles to build capacity of project teams.
- Knowledge and experience utilizing modern tools and templates that leverage best practices with integrated and digital applications/business systems.
- Successfully and proven track record of delivering on high quality project management standards, quality and on time delivery and compliance to project /program strategy and quality requirements.
- Proven capacity in managing organizational risk and supporting continual improvement.
- Strong negotiation/influencing skills and the ability to cut through complexities, providing practice and sensible solutions.
- Excellent listening and written and verbal communication skills. High written and verbal proficiency in English.
- Facilitation skills and experience, convening and capacity building of project groups for planning, discussion and knowledge sharing, overall supporting a learning culture and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrable experience proactively engaging groups to pilot and implement innovations in sphere of work to improve performance, through a data-driven and evidence based approach.
- Experience in working in developing countries/international multicultural projects/environment.
- Experience of working in/with the private sector.
Ideally, the candidate may also bring these skills:
- A good communicator
- Adaptive and Result-based Management skills
- A can-do collaborative attitude
- An innovator
Salary & Benefits
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with an annual salary ranging between USD 88,500 and USD 99,700 gross per annum. WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Note: Items marked * are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
The position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The initial employment contract will be for a 3-year period, with possibility for renewal depending on performance and the availability of funding. Interviews will be held via video conference in July and August 2020. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online here latest by 14 July 2020:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start as soon as possible, and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. Our Leadership Team is 50/50 in terms of its gender split and 60% of our management cadre are women. We continue to seek diversity and gender balance across other dimensions and we support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and men from developing nations to apply.