BACKGROUND INFORMATION OF THE POSITION
United State Agency for International Development (USAID) has been a leader in the global fight against Tuberculosis (TB) for over two decades and supports anti-TB efforts in more than 50 countries, helping to provide TB treatment to more than 13 million people, including over 300,000 suffering from MDR-TB. Since 2000, the USAID TB program has achieved a nearly 50 percent reduction in TB-related deaths and, with our partners, we’ve saved more than 54 million lives globally. In September 2018, USAID announced “The Global Accelerator to End Tuberculosis” to address the United Nations (UN)’ target of treating 40 million people by 2022. The innovative model focuses on the countries with high burdens of TB, including Vietnam. FY18 was the first year of TB funding for USAID/Vietnam. Since then, USAID Vietnam has been providing comprehensive support to the NTP to achieve the committed goal of ending TB by 2030 in Vietnam. Technical assistance has been provided to the NTP to improve TB and MDR-TB detection, treatment, and prevention, and to leverage in-country sustainable resources for TB services.
The project management specialist (Tuberculosis) position is located in the Office of Health (OH), USAID/Vietnam based in Hanoi. This position will report to the Senior HIV/TB Advisor or his/her designee and provide technical assistance and leadership on TB project management. The incumbent will facilitate and communicate among key partners involved in TB project management and United States Government (USG) agencies. The incumbent will provide assistance in consultative, advisory, monitoring, management, data collection and analysis, and evaluative aspects within the TB project management area.
The incumbent will collaborate and coordinate with other USG agencies involved in TB implementation activities, the donor community, the national governmental and implementing partners on TB care. S/he will coordinate meetings, assist in monitoring programs on field visits, assist in evaluation of programs, provide technical insight, recommend solutions, and report on USAID financed TB project management activities. Most of the incumbent’s time will be spent in Hanoi but travel to the field will be required.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
Education: Possession of a Master’s degree or equivalent in medicine, health sciences, public health, or biology is required.
Prior Work Experience: Must have a minimum of five (5) years in project management in the field of public health or infectious disease and development.
Language Proficiency: Must have:
- Level 4 (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing English (this will be tested).
- Level 4 (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing Vietnamese.
Job Knowledge: Must have:
- A comprehensive knowledge of the concepts, principles, techniques and practices of public health or infectious disease programs.
- An in-depth professional-level knowledge of development principles, concepts, and practices, especially as they relate to tuberculosis-related education, prevention, and treatment activities in the host country and/or region, and the problems and policies in the host country from the business, political, civil society, and social perspectives.
- Knowledge of TB detection, treatment, prevention, and surveillance programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of Ministry of Health and Provincial Department of Health System and the appropriate government and nongovernment entities which is critical to the successful performance of the duties assigned to this position.
- Good understanding of education on human rights as well as policy and advocacy issues.
- Knowledge of, or the potential to quickly acquire knowledge of, USG legislation, policy, and practice relating to tuberculosis prevention and treatment assistance, of USAID programming policies, regulations, procedures, and documentation, and of the objectives, methodology, and status of assigned activities.
Skills and Abilities: Must have:
- Ability to analyze, understand and discuss new program design, management and implementation approaches. This includes the development of evaluation designs, use of reliable and valid instruments, and methods for data collection, analysis and reports.
- Ability to lead project teams and workgroups and to develop effective working relationships with national and international working partners. The job holder will be expected to exercise considerable ingenuity and tact in applying guidelines to unique and different settings, as the work is highly complex and can be threatening to stakeholders.
- Considerable innovation to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in evidence-based practices including review of data analytics and data use for program management, and TB programs to adopt appropriate strategies for their program activities.
- Ability to provide technical leadership in TB Accelerator-related planning; and, apply this knowledge to advanced programming in the host country and the region, strong skills with interpretation of program monitoring and evaluation of data.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to deal effectively and efficiently with others.
- Ability to learn and use office software such as Microsoft Office Suit, Google Applications and Agency specific software related to the work.
- Self-motivation and strong work ethics.
CLOSING DATE: August 21, 2020, 17:00 Hanoi time