Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Job-specific
USAID is working across all sectors to address the unexpected needs brought on by the massive influx of Syrian refugees into Jordan. In the education sector, USAID is making a significant effort to assist the Ministry of Education (MoE) in addressing the needs of Jordanian students pertaining to overcrowding and double shifting in schools. In addition, Jordan’s Ministry of Health (MoH) reached out to USAID for assistance with the expansion and renovation of health facilities.
The first component of the project focuses on the Jordan School Expansion Project (JSEP), Learning Environment: The Improved Infrastructure Program (LEIIP), and Schools of Knowledge Economy Project (SKEP). UNOPS main intervention is to furnish and equip up to 100 school expansions and 300 kindergarten classrooms under JSEP, furnish the administration and education rooms for 132 schools under LEIIP, and furnish and equip 25 SKEP schools. The second component of the grant focuses on the Princess Rahma Pediatric Hospital (PRPH) in Irbid governorate, and Al-Bashir hospital in Amman governorate. UNOPS intervention is to equip and furnish the renovated areas in both hospitals that are currently under renovation in 2019.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the project manager, the Project Associate is to support the Project Manager in the day-to-day operations of the project. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organization’s performance and delivery goals, in the area of project management. Under the overall guidance and supervision of the project manager, the Project Associate is to support the Project Manager in the day-to-day operations of the project. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organization’s performance and delivery goals, in the area of project management.
The incumbent is required to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
1. Project Implementation
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring UNOPS Policies and Procedures, Financial Rules and Regulations (FR&R) are adhered to for efficient project implementation and progress;
- Monitor project financials and advise the Project Manager accordingly;
- Track expenditure and take relevant action when required to revise budgets (realignment and amendment);
- Monitor and record best practices and innovative approaches within UNOPS FR&R; identify and show alternative options according to Activity needs;
- Managing information flows and overseeing change controls, risk registers and issue management; document and feedback lessons learned and best practices;
- Supporting the project planning process;
- Maintenance of all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes;
- Management of work packages within the project as and when required;
- Assist the Project manager in monitoring of the project quality indicators and undertaking monthly assurance tasks on behalf of the Project Manager
2. Financial and procurement management
- Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes.
- Ensure accurate data entry into UNOPS ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system.
- Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work-plan.
- Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions.
- Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements.
- Support the Project Manager by monitoring budgets, cash flow and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Alert the Project Manager or any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures.
- Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary.
- Coordinate vendor communications, meetings, and reports as necessary
3. Project monitoring and reporting
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents.
- Maintain records of project files and other supporting documents.
- Maintain the following records: Quality Register, Configuration Item Records and all other registers/logs delegated by the Project Manager
- Support the Project Manager in maintaining the following:
- i. Electronic Blue File,
- ii. Procurement, HR and Finance files as required .
- Manage the compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data of the mission.
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project completion reports and ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
4. Knowledge management and innovation
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to expertise in tools and technique
5. Operational and Logistic Support
- In consultation with the relevant stakeholders, assist in preparing amendments of Agreements and Budget revisions when applicable;
- Review input of financial information, expenditures etc in OneUNOPS
- Ensure conformity of project disbursement requests with procedures, work plans, and availability of resources for expenditure;
- Support development and maintenance of OneUNOPS based management information systems to ensure real time tracking and asset management under the project activities;
- Liaise with the Finance Unit to process and monitor all payment requests within the Project
- Assist the Project Manager in monitoring all HR requirements and related activities under the Project
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (staff, individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required;
- Providing induction briefings to newly recruited staff and render support to consultants in the course of their assignment;
- Supervise and review submissions for Contracts, Purchase orders, Waivers and related documents prior to final approval;
- In accordance with UN and UNOPS Security Policies, manage travel for all personnel in the Project Team
- Organize all project and stakeholder meetings as and when necessary, and maintain records of these meetings.
- Maintain records of project files and Activity reports in hard and soft copy.
- Prepare budget forecast and periodic financial reports as requested.
- Review weekly Activity reports and quarterly financial reports with respect to outputs based on work plans and budget forecasts
- Liaise with finance and logistics/procurement units in tracking commitments and disbursements.
- Identify operational, administrative, financial and other bottlenecks that may impede project delivery; recommend solutions and take appropriate remedial action.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only:
Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Master Degree in (Business Administration, Management or Engineering) or Bachelor degree in additional 2 years’ relevant may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree
- Minimum of 1 year of progressive responsible experience in similar positions experience is required.
- Engineering background is required.
- Previous experience of working in international organizations is an asset
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems is highly desirable.
- Previous logistics experience is required
- Prince II Foundation is required
- Good knowledge of Autocad is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA
Contract level: Local ICA Support, LICA 7
Contract duration: Open- ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.