Chemonics seeks a project manager for an anticipated USAID Transportation Sector Assessment project. This short-term project aims to develop two strategic transportation assessments that will analyze, examine, and provide recommendations for potential programmatic interventions in the transport sector. The first will focus on Mazar-i-Sharif as multi-modal transport hub and will recommend interventions to help the region realize its economic potential as a transport and trade center. The second will focus on Kabul and will provide recommendations to implement a proof-of-concept pilot toll road project with the private sector. This duration of this position will be up to 90 days. The duration of this position will be up to 90 days. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Design methodology and conduct transportation assessments, with a focus on urban transportation
- Analyze data from the aforementioned assessment
- Conduct regulatory, industry, and trade policy evaluations
- Develop assessments focused on market/economic analysis, regional planning, engineering, environmental issues, and public-private partnerships (PPPs)
- Provide research-based technical advice to Chemonics counterparts, client, and governmental stakeholders on improvement of transportation systems development and maintenance
- Provide assessment-based advice to Chemonics counterparts, client, and governmental stakeholders on the current legal and institutional challenges related to transportation sector; provide constructive recommendations to address those challenges based on the country context and capabilities
- Provide study-based recommendations to the Chemonics counterparts, client, and governmental stakeholders on how to obtain services for plan alterations and modification of the existing transportation network for improved economic activity
- Recommend ways to support and enhance engagement of the private sector in provision of transportation services, including concessions/privatization of road, rail, and airport services
- Provide constructive recommendations in development and implementation of technical and institutional guidelines and specifications including: organizational capacity building; appropriate and efficient corporate governance; social, safety, and environmental guidelines for roads, rail, and air transportation services; and new modalities of procurement for road and bridge construction and maintenance services
- Supervise two teams of expatriate and local national consultants, one team in Mazar and the other in Kabul with intermittent travel to each of the two provinces
- Liaise and coordinate with USAID and Chemonics’ home-office project management unit on a periodic basis
- Represent Chemonics to client, counterparts, and governmental stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in engineering, public transportation, or urban development required
- Eight years of work experience on toll road, transportation system design, assessment, and research, ideally on USAID or other donor-funded projects
- Experience developing methodology for transportation network assessments and plans
- Experience in conducting road, rail, air transportation feasibility studies, research, and assessments, ideally in a country with similar context to Afghanistan
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including both writing and speaking, in English; Dari/ Pashto language capability preferred
- Ability to work effectively with senior0level government and client counterparts
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please send electronic submissions including your CV and cover letter with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com by May 23, 2018. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.