Position Title : Project Manager
Duty Station : Nouakchott, Mauritania
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 June 2018
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and in coordination with the Regional Office in Dakar, the successful candidate will be responsible for the successful management and implementation of the project “Empowering Mauritanian youth through Education, Leadership and self-Improvement” funded by USAID, which aims at supporting at risk-youth with education and finding and keeping market demand-driven employment. Through its positive engagement of the youth, the program supports the overall efforts of the Government of Mauritania to Prevent Violent Extremism (PVE). The successful candidate will coordinate with government partners and all other stakeholders, including the advisory committee; manage sub-grants; monitor and evaluate progress; and draft narrative reports to the donor.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide overall direction and financial oversight of the project.
- Contribute to the design of programme strategy, and recommend resource allocation among several offices, stakeholders and sub-regions.
- Manage sub-grants and relationships between consortium members, ensure appropriate capacity support for sub-grantees, facilitate implementation of programme activities, and ensure smooth integration/ complementarity with other US Government-funded programmes.
- Provide guidance, direction and oversight of the steering committee made of local government representatives and other relevant stakeholders to inform and learn lessons from programme.
- Represent the programme to donors, key stakeholders and host country government counterparts by assuming primary responsibility in negotiating terms and conditions of the programme and ensure it smooth implementation.
- Supervise, manage, and provide leadership to all key personnel associated with the programme. Provide guidance and support professional development of staff.
- Provide technical oversight and management of curriculum development for the integration of vocational education programmes.
- Ensure the smooth integration of market-driven employment opportunities with vocational education programming.
- Leverage state of the art approaches to market-driven Vocational Education to (VocEd) employment value chain.
- Provide directional guidance and manage the development of a youth think tank - building capacity providing support for the think tank to be effective.
- Work closely with VocEd specialists and thought leadership experts to build capacity and support a VocEd centre for excellence.
- Ensure for harmonious relationships between beneficiaries, government representatives, and other stakeholders (donors, NGOs and relevant CSOs) working in VocEd space in Mauritania.
- In coordination with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) specialist, facilitate the creation of social media platforms for tracking the programmes and improving the visibility of programmes to increase accessibility to participants.
- Develop and enforce anti-corruption measures and strengthen existing measures including the implementation of a sound Monitoring and Evaluation system to ensure the transparent use of donor funds. Report corruption issues to the donor according to established procedures.
- Supervise the tracking of all programme expenditures to ensure budget recommendations are met, that all grant management and financial tracking instruments are reconciled and that all funds are spent in accordance with IOM standards and donor expectations. In coordination with the relevant IOM Mission departments, HQ and others, ensure the timely submission of financial reports to the donor.
- Responsible for regular reporting, including all financial and narrative and database requirements, and ensure regular and proactive coordination with program counterparts.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Education, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional/vocational training or a discipline related to economic development, youth empowerment or education;
- Experience in project management;
- Good understanding of PVE program strategies;
- Experience working in developing countries preferably from the Sahel or Maghreb regions;
- Experience managing projects relating to youth employment, empowerment or other youth-oriented projects;
- Experience consortium management for innovative projects testing new concepts or principles;
- Knowledge and understanding of critical thinking concepts and other skills relevant to youth life success;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a complex collaborative environment, including government stakeholders;
- Proven thought leadership skills including knowledge and understanding of critical thinking concepts and other skills relevant to youth life success;
- Strong analytic and organizational skills; Strong creative and innovative thinking skills.
Fluency in English is required. Fluency in French is a strong asset; Working knowledge of Hassaniya, Arabic, Pulaar or Wolof is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 June 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.