Candidate must be authorized to work in Lesotho
Job Title: Project Manager
Project/Program: M-Mama Lesotho
Location: Maseru, Lesotho
Job Status: Full-time
Date created/revised: February 12, 2020
Touch is seeking a Project Manager to support the expansion of our flagship M-Mama program into Lesotho. The M-Mama program was launched in Tanzania in 2013 and Lesotho is the first country beyond Tanzania where Touch will replicate the solution. The M-Mama program was designed in collaboration with the foundation of a leading global telecommunications company to provide women and newborns facing obstetric, peripartum, and post-natal emergencies with quick and efficient access to appropriate care. Patients in the community or healthcare workers in facilities make a toll-free call to the 24/7 dispatch center where a dispatcher remotely triages the patient supported by a decision-making application on a tablet. If an ambulance is not available, the dispatcher uses the application to access the information of trained community drivers to arrange an alternative method of fast and safe transportation. The dispatch application integrates with a mobile payment system, ensuring that drivers receive the pre-negotiated rate for the journey in their personal mobile money accounts as soon as transportation is successfully completed. An assessment of the program impact estimated a 27% reduction in the maternal mortality ratio during the first year of the demonstration phase in two districts in Tanzania.
The Project Manager will work with the program team, including government and implementing partners, to support the setup and launch of the M-Mama program in Lesotho, at both national and sub-national levels. The Project Manager will play a critical role in establishing relationships with government stakeholders at all levels and other local decision makers. The Project Manager will be under the direct supervision of the Program Manager and the overall supervision of the Touch Program Director in charge of international programming, and the overall direction of the Chief Program Officer. Responsibilities of the role may be adapted based upon the experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Support the management, design, set up, launch and implementation of the M-Mama program in Lesotho, including supporting the District Health Management Teams (DHMTs) to coordinate program engagements, trainings and awareness activities at district and community
- Provide program progress updates and reports as required
- Prepare, manage and monitor project budgets and implementation workplans in collaboration with program team and financial management
- Participate in decision-making and problem-solving with program leadership to develop and plan the M-Mama interventions on the ground
- Contribute to strengthening Touch’s profile with major donors and implementing partners, including Government of Lesotho central authorities, international organizations and prospective funders
- Own and manage relationships with program partners, including sub-contractors, vendors and other local and international partners, ensuring that they deliver on agreed upon objectives within timeframe and budget
- Collaborate with program team to undertake effective monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Conduct data analyses and prepare reports on program implementation progress and impact for management, donors or other stakeholders
- Assist with compliance with donor requirements, Government of Lesotho relevant regulations, and organizational policies and procedures
- Contribute to expanding Touch’s knowledge of the Lesotho health system and international public health issues, including relationships with main stakeholders
- Assist with preparation of funding proposals
- Contribute to suite of communication vehicles, including conference presentations, articles, and marketing materials
- Communicate regularly and effectively with various program partners
As job vacancy announcements cannot be exhaustive, the Project Manager may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties. A minimum 2-year work commitment is required from the successful candidate.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Minimum 2-4 years relevant professional experience in project management
- Masters or Doctorate degree in relevant field (e.g. MPH, MBA, MPA, MD, international development) or equivalent demonstrated professional experience
- Prior management and/or consulting experience in a developing world environment preferred
- Experience working with donor regulations
- Experience in program monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Leadership, organizational and problem-solving skills and excellent attention to detail
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially in the functional use of Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft word
- Solid relationship-building skills and cross-cultural sensitivity: ability to interface with external constituents from a variety of backgrounds
- Good judgment and discretion to represent the Touch Foundation in a highly professional manner, as well as respect for local culture
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required. Management may at its discretion assign or re-assign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description does not change the at-will employment relationship existing between the organization and its employees. Touch Foundation, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V).
To apply, please submit your Resume and a Cover Letter outlining your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email, certify that you are currently eligible to work in Lesotho. We request no calls.
About the Organization
Touch Foundation is a non-profit organization founded in 2004 by an Emeritus Director at McKinsey & Co. to improve healthcare in Tanzania and throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
We apply a three-phase strategy for testing and scaling solutions to the most pressing global health challenges. First, we focus on (I) designing and implementing programs in the Lake Zone of Tanzania to test their potential impact. Successful solutions are then (II) scaled up to a national level, setting the stage to ultimately (III) adapt and replicate them in other countries facing similar challenges to achieve broader impact. Today, our programmatic priorities range from ensuring access to emergency transport and high-quality care for obstetric and neonatal emergencies across SSA, to using an innovative and data-driven solution to optimize planning and decision-making around production, deployment and retention of health workers in several countries. We are also focused on developing market-based solution for the private sector in health to complement the role of the public health system in providing universal health care to their population.
At Touch, you will join a team of highly mission-driven professionals with diverse backgrounds and experiences, ranging from management consulting to clinical medicine. You will work closely with team members across all levels and functions, becoming an integral part of our commitment to improving health in sub-Saharan Africa.
Touch Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization, is committed to the efficient use of funds, financial transparency and organizational accountability. For more information about Touch Foundation, please visit our website www.touchfoundation.org.