PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Oversee the implementation of ARK Communications programmes in consultation with ARK management and per donor requirements. Manage the production team to ensure programme objectives are met with deliverables of the highest quality, and within the required timeframe and budget.
• Provide continuous management and oversight of a strategic communications project and identify the need for adjustment and improvement of systems and processes to improve efficiency, optimise utilisation of resources and improve the quality of deliverables. Review and approve all changes in project plans.
• Ensure all internal and contracted periodic reports are completed on time and to a high quality and in accordance with ARK and donor requirements.
• Work with the ARK’s Programme Director and other staff members to ensure commitment of adequate resources from approved budgets to support project implementation, and ensure that budgets are spent in accordance with donor requirements within the appropriate timeframe.
• Lead the production team and other ARK Communications staff to optimise strategy and approaches in the design of projects, campaigns, outputs, outcomes and impact.
• Provide media training and communications support to team members and project partners as required.
• Co-ordinate drafting and provide final review and approval of all major written project deliverables prior to dissemination or submission to the client.
• Supported by the M&E team, oversee project monitoring and evaluation against overall goals, specific objectives and contracted deliverables.
• Liaise with donors and clients to provide accurate, relevant and timely reporting on project implementation, impact and development opportunities.
• Ensure all staff-related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with ARK’s and the donor’s policies and guidelines. This includes recruitment, performance management, security, staff development and training, and disciplinary action.
• Liaise and coordinate across ARK project teams, headquarters and country offices to encourage sharing of knowledge and resources and effective programme synergies.
• Identify and develop new project, programme, donor/client and partnership opportunities, and contribute to bid development on these potential programmes as required by ARK’s management.
• Lead the programme’s engagement with the UK Government to ensure activities are aligned with its intent.
• Ensure that the senior management team is fully briefed and cognisant of the portfolio, including key successes, obstacles and opportunities for growth.
• Develop terms of reference for all team members and undertake individual performance assessments.
• Cultivate and strengthen ARK’s strategic partnership with any relevant actors and identify other regional actors for potential new business opportunities.
• Work with the Head of Business Development to identify new programming opportunities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of first degree from a top-ranked university, plus post graduate studies in journalism, international development or equivalent.
• A minimum of 10 years professional experience in strategic communications and content production, including at least three years in a management position.
• Proven analytical and project management skills, including experience in planning, budgeting and assessment.
• Demonstrated experience of working across different media formats, including film, television and radio.
• Experience of working in the MENA/Levant region – especially working directly with Syrian civil society (essential) – as well as experience of managing teams from diverse backgrounds and cultures in complex operating environments.
• Native-level English language written and oral skills, in order to compile and deliver complex and comprehensive reports, presentations and other materials for international donors, including the British government.
• Wide professional network in the field of international media and production that can be leveraged in pursuit of project objectives.
• Commitment to team-building and demonstrated experience in training, development and mentoring of other team members.
• High personal adaptability, proactivity, and problem solving ability, with a proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines in a fluid environment.
• Personal flexibility to undertake international travel at short notice.
• Excellent social skills and effective inter-personal communication skills.
• Arabic language skills essential.
About the Organization
ARK is a research, conflict transformation and stabilisation consultancy that supports local communities in conflict and fragile areas. We believe that international stability, national security, community safety and individual empowerment are intrinsically linked.
As a team at ARK, we partner with local stakeholders to provide insight and develop programmes that are of immediate, tangible assistance to conflict-affected communities. Many of our staff are drawn from partner communities, hence ARK’s commitment to and understanding of conflict zones. ARK has ongoing programming in communities across the Middle East.