The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Global Health Evaluation and Learning Support Activity (GH EvaLS) is a five-year USAID Bureau for Global Health Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract with a $39 million ceiling. GH EvaLS provides evaluation, assessment, and learning support for health-related projects and activities at USAID/Washington and USAID Missions. Projects within the USAID Bureau for Global Health’s portfolio support the U.S. Government’s goals to improve global health through preventing child and maternal deaths; controlling the HIV/AIDS epidemic; and combating infectious diseases, such as COVID-19.
GH EvaLS provides assessments, performance and impact evaluations, and learning and adaptive management services that are transparent, based on the best methods, and oriented towards reinforcing local ownership. This includes four types of evaluations of President’s Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) programs: process, outcome, economic, and impact. PEPFAR is a U.S. governmental initiative to address the global HIV/AIDS epidemic.
GH EvaLS is seeking an experienced Project Manager (PM) who can work independently to manage a medium-size portfolio of complex multi-member evaluation teams, and to assist with project development and adaptation of new GH EvaLS procedures and processes. S/he will assist with potentially training/mentoring new project staff. The PM is responsible for all aspects of an assignment management, including assignment planning, recruitment, budget development and management, implementation, and close-out. The role involves managing client relationships; high quality management of high-profile assignments, including budget, consultant oversight, ensuring contractual compliance, and eventually mentoring junior staff. Strong communication skills are essential as the role involves direct client relationships and routine coordination with GH EvaLS consultants. GH EvaLS seeks candidates who are able to multi-task, problem-solve, work independently, and ensure high quality assignment management and activity implementation.
The position is be based in the ME&A GH EvaLS Project Office in Bethesda, MD and does not include travel. GH EvaLS is a five-year program that began in June of 2020. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, EvaLS staff are expected to work from home until the situation dictates otherwise.
The experienced Project Manager will manage logistics and GH EvaLS assignment procedures for complex, multi-member GH EvaLS assignments. In addition, s/he will be responsible for the coordination of all aspects of program, including consultant recruitment and management, monitoring of assignment reports, coordination with local partners, learning activities and other contract tasks and related deliverables. Specifically, the experienced Project Manager assumes primary responsibility for the following tasks and activities:
1. Assignment Planning and Logistics Preparation
- Manages the assignment planning process, which includes coordinating with the USAID client to refine scopes of work (SOW) in coordination with the Technical Director/Sr Evaluation Advisor, preparing cost estimates, etc.
- Recruits short- and medium-term consultants (CCNs, TCNs, Expats) and identifies local/international organizations, universities, and other potential technical implementing partners
- Arranges all logistical support for GH EvaLS consultants both in the United States and overseas
- Assists with Team Planning Meetings and other team meetings
- Works with consultants to ensure completion of financial forms and other paperwork
- Ensures necessary USAID approvals are obtained in a timely manner by preparing official requests and memos to USAID Contracting Officers and Contracting Officer Representatives, on behalf of the Project Director including following up and providing additional justification
- Collects and distributes activity background materials and other supporting document/materials for team members
- Provides logistics and coordination support to the consultancy teams during the entire assignment implementation
- Monitors and tracks assignment progress
- Carefully monitors assignment costs to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of resource use
- Identifies issues and problems related to assignment implementation in a timely manner and recommends and carries out appropriate adjustments, in coordination with the Technical Director/Sr Evaluation Advisor and the Project Director
- Serves as GH EvaLS assignment coordinator for high profile client work and coordination on behalf of the GH EvaLS Project Director or Technical Director/Sr Evaluation Advisor
- Serves as liaison to USAID clients, implementing partners, host country governments, project stakeholders, and counterparts in the public and private sectors if necessary
- Provides initial review of consultant forms and invoices
- Maintains routine communications with consultants and clients to ensure that consultants are supported throughout the course of their assignments, and that the client is kept abreast of progress and obstacles, and to ensure smooth implementation
- Works with the Technical Director/Sr Evaluation Advisor to ensure the provision of technical input for select contract deliverables, including ensuring quality control and oversight for assignment report content, editing/formatting and production
- Ensures all deliverables are submitted on time, meets USAID branding and marking requirements, and are of quality meeting the needs of the SOW and the client
- Implements clerical close-out of assignment files
- Supports timely and orderly assignment-related closeout, including ensuring satisfactory completion of the activity and completion of performance evaluation forms from both clients and employees
- Ensures completion of activity and consultant performance evaluation forms
4. Other Responsibilities
- Serves as project mentor and trainer for potentially orienting new Project Assistants, and other staff to GH EvaLS procedures and processes.
- Assists with development of EvaLS deliverables including Quarterly and Annual Reports, and other reports as requested by the Project Director and/or the Technical Director/Sr Evaluation Advisor
- Provides logistical support for workshops, meetings, trainings, and USAID-sponsored conferences and other events
- Responds to other requests as directed by the Project Director and/or the Technical Director/Sr Evaluation Advisor
- Participates in team-wide meetings and initiatives; and chairs team-wide meetings as requested by the Project Director and/or Technical Director/Sr Evaluation Advisor
- Promotes integration and cross-fertilization of ideas, learning, knowledge management, and information across and among GH EvaLS assignments
- Masters in Public Health (MPH) or MA or similar degree in M&E and/or international development and/or health, required
- 4-5 years of USAID project management experience, required
- Knowledge of international public health and development issues, with 1-2 years of overseas experience, desirable
- 2-5 years of experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Mastery of qualitative and/or quantitative analysis software, desirable
- Must be a team player and work well in groups
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Experience managing complex, multi-member field teams, highly desirable
- Well-organized, attentive to detail, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Works well with minimal supervision
- Flexibility and adaptability, required
- Pro-active in anticipating work requirements and problem-solving
- Excellent skills in teamwork and interpersonal communication
- Foreign language proficiency in French and/or Spanish, or other desirable
- Mastery of word processing, spreadsheets, database use, and presentation software (Microsoft Office); and experience with using and researching on the Internet
Fluency in English required.
All applications and CVs must be submitted in English.
ME&A, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. ME&A will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. For our EEO Policy Statement and a copy of our EEO Policy Statement and information on your EEO rights under the law.
ME&A is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all applicants.
About the Organization
ME&A is a qualified small business, dedicated to providing creative solutions for economic development and social development throughout the world. Our Core Areas of Concentration include Monitoring & Evaluations, Economic and Community Development, Public Administration and Governance, and Business Development and Technology Transfer.
ME&A’s staff of professionals are dedicated to pursuing excellence in the principles, practices and processes of their professions. We are a client-oriented organization committed to upholding the highest of professional standards and being a responsible corporate citizen.
We believe in creative teaming with other partners, maintaining strong professionalism and ethics in meeting our objectives, and utilizing our multicultural skills to better understand and communicate with our clients. ME&A pursues and embraces our client’s organizational and programmatic goals. We work as a team, whereever appropriate, to bring collective knowledge to bear in creating developmental solutions.
ME&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer.