SolidarMed | Obergrundstrasse 97 | CH-6005 Lucerne firstname.lastname@example.org | +41 41 310 66 60 | solidarmed.ch
SolidarMed is a leading non-profit organization working to improve the health care of 2.5 million people in Lesotho, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Working together with national partners to strengthen health systems and community capacities, we are committed to scientific evidence and policy dialogue both as foundations and objectives of our work.
We have an exciting position for an experienced professional to join our passionate team in Zambia to take our sustainable social housing and infrastructure project to the next level.
Project Manager Housing & Infrastructure, Zambia (full time)
Full time (until December 2021 with the possibility to extend should funding be secured)
Place of Assignment
Lusaka with frequent visits to rural sites. Occasional international travel.
Start of Contract
As soon as possible to enable handover with the current post-holder.
Your tasks and responsibilities as Project Manager
- Scale up our sustainable model of housing for healthcare workers, securing funding for expansion from donors
- Manage the implementation of the current grant for the new housing development to a successful and on time conclusion
- Investigate and secure funding for new lines of activity that combine sustainable technology with effective healthcare delivery
- Manage and update our portfolio of in-house designs, proposing ways in which our experience may be shared and replicated
- Supervise the manager of SolidarInvest, our independently registered social enterprise that manages and maintains the housing stock currently in management
- Work closely with our two clinical education projects to ensure that their building and other infrastructure needs are specified and met
- Provide strong budgetary control of existing work, propose clear annual plans and new budgets for the year ahead and prepare reports to account for what is done and its impact
- Plan, commission and manage to a successful conclusion a small programme of research project that enable us to learn the lessons of our work and to communicate with external audiences about our achievements and lessons
- Actively participate as a senior staff member in the planning and leadership of the whole programme in Zambia
- You have taken development projects successfully to scale in a sustainable way
- You have managed construction or infrastructure projects
- You have a track record in strategic and operational planning and working with international donors and venture philanthropists, with clear familiarity with project life cycle techniques
- You understand healthcare delivery systems and have a commitment to rural development
- You can give an informed professional opinion on construction and other infrastructure questions and/or know how and when to call for additional technical advice
- You have strong leadership, influencing and management skills, to manage teams directly or indirectly, ideally combined with experience in capacity building or institutional development
- You understand social purpose businesses
- You demonstrate a keen interest in knowledge sharing, applied field research and practice and policy exchange
- You have academic qualifications to master’s degree level in engineering and/or social sciences
- You are a strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills able to form valuable working partnerships at all levels
- You have fluency in English with good writing skills
- Your computer skills (MS Word, Excel, etc) are strong
- You currently live or are willing to live and work in Zambia
- You have a full clean driving licence and can drive 4x4s in rural areas
- You have previous experience of working in a rural development context
- You are motivated and committed to social change and a very comfortable team player
- An exciting role which brings with it clear scope for innovation and creativity, as well as the chance to apply expert skills in a challenging delivery environment
- You will be part of a motivated team with a flat hierarchy in a professionally run, innovative programme
- Placement in Zambia’s capital Lusaka, family posting possible
How to apply
Please email your application to email@example.com citing reference “Project Manager Zambia, Housing & Infrastructure” and include
- Your CV including 3 references (max. 2 pages)
- A covering letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements
- Copies of your qualifications
Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We kindly ask you not to send in duplicate or hard copies of your CV.
Deadline for applications
30th of June 2020
For further details contact
Amélie Gottier, (firstname.lastname@example.org, Lucerne)
About the Organization
SolidarMed is a Swiss organisation for Health in Africa improving the health care of 1.5 million people in Lesotho, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. SolidarMed sustainably strengthens and meaningfully expands existing health services.