The Project Manager will lead the on-the-ground implementation activities for the expansion of an Emergency Transportation System (EmTS) to the entire Shinyanga region of Tanzania. The EmTS is an innovative, cost-effective system that uses technology and private community drivers to transport mothers and newborns to health facilities when an emergency occurs, and has been developed and tested by Touch and other partners as part of the Mobilizing Maternal Health (MMH) program in Tanzania. The Project Manager will drive the development, management and implementation of the project, managing partners, setting milestones and ensuring completion, monitoring activities on the ground and reporting to senior management. He/she will work under the strategic direction of our Chief Program Officer and Executive Vice President, a former McKinsey Senior Engagement Manager, and supervision of Touch’s Program Managers located in Tanzania.
Responsibilities and Duties:
As job vacancy announcements cannot be exhaustive, the Project Manager may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties. A minimum 2 year work commitment is required from the successful candidate.
- Lead the full implementation of select projects and take full responsibility of project deliverables and milestones
- Direct various activities related to the development of the Foundation’s projects, working in collaboration with management, in-country leadership and program funders
- Prepare, manage and monitor project budgets and implementation workplans in collaboration with program team and financial management
- Own and manage relationships with project partners, including sub-contractors, vendors and other local and international partners, ensuring that they deliver on agreed upon objectives within time frame and budget
- Collaborate with program team to undertake effective monitoring and evaluation of the projects
- Conduct data analyses and prepare reports on project implementation progress and impact for management, donors or other stakeholders
- Assist with compliance with USAID and other donor requirements, Government of Tanzania relevant regulations, and organizational policies and procedures
- Maintain holistic and detailed understanding of project work as well as opportunities for expansion
- Assist with preparation of funding proposals
- Contribute to suite of communication vehicles, including conference presentations, articles, and marketing materials
- Communicate regularly and effectively with various project partners
Qualifications of Successful Candidate:
Touch Foundation, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V).
- Minimum 2-3 years relevant professional experience in project management, management consulting experience strongly preferred
- Masters or Doctorate degree in relevant field (e.g. MPH, MBA, MPA, MD, international development) or equivalent demonstrated professional experience
- Prior management and/or consulting experience in a developing world environment preferred
- Experience working with donor regulations, in particular with USAID funded programs
- Experience in program monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Leadership, organizational and problem solving skills and excellent attention to detail
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially in the functional use of Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft word
- Solid relationship-building skills and cross-cultural sensitivity: ability to interface with external constituents from a variety of backgrounds
- Good judgment and discretion to represent the Touch Foundation in a highly professional manner, as well as respect for local “culture.”
About the OrganizationTouch Foundation Inc. was founded in 2004 to strengthen the health system in Tanzania. Touch has supported the training of over 3,700 healthcare workers in Tanzania including 800 medical doctors, representing 14% of all doctors graduated in the country since 2008, as well as 1,900 other healthcare professionals such as nurses, lab technicians, and radiographers.
Please visit our website at www.touchfoundation.org to learn more about us.