Creative seeks a Project Manager to provide HQ-based management of and support to a USAID-funded project in West Africa.
The Project Manager will be responsible for guiding activities through work plans from concept to closure, working with and through multiple teams and ensuring continued coordination and collaboration between HQ and the field. The Project Manager travels internationally for field projects and reconnaissance activities and contributes to the successful and compliant implementation of assigned projects. The Project Manager drafts relevant programmatic documents and reports; coordinates operational, research, and logistical support to project staff and consultants. As part of the HQ team, the Project Manager works closely with field teams and contributes to technical aspects of program design and implementation, as well as business development and proposal activities.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Project Manager reports to the Political Transitions Practice Area Director and manages junior staff.
- Support assigned project teams in all facets of project ramp-ups, project implementation, and project close-downs, to ensure program implementation success and compliance in line with USAID and Creative’s administrative, financial, procurement, and operational procedures;
- Support project strategy throughout programming and play key role in project implementation from concept to closure; work- with multiple HQ and field teams.
- Brings project and financial management skills to field implementation and continues to develop depth of knowledge on USAID and Creative’s policies and procedures;
- Enhance HQ-field coordination/communication for improved project management; and
- Contribute to proposal development and business development efforts.
- Supports project activity development, implementation, tracking, and disbursements;
- Oversees implementation of approved activities, monitor timelines, track budgets, support subcontract development, resolve issues, and ensure successful project startups and closedowns;
- Reviews and recommends improvements to project management processes;
- Backstops field projects on technical, financial, and administrative tasks, as assigned;
- Supports key field personnel; may coordinate mobilizations and demobilizations;
- Develops and monitors consultant agreements, assures coordination of travel and logistics, and oversees the facilitation of payment requests; may handle grants management activities, as needed;
- Oversees the processing of project-related documentation including invoices, ensuring program files and transactions are compliant, properly documented, and organized;
- Prepares, tracks and realigns project budgets and subcontractor budgets;
- Oversees contractual requests to the Contracting Officer for all travel approvals;
- Contributes to weekly and monthly reports, project success stories, and other deliverables;
- Monitors the implementation of contract requirements, deliverables, and budgets;
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with partner and/or donor organizations;
- Works closely with support divisions in HQ including HR, Contracts, Procurement, Field Operations, Communications, and Finance to support complex project needs as they arise;
- Actively works with business development on proposals; and
- Takes a lead role in planning reconnaissance and fact-finding trips in preparation for bids.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and eight to ten (8-10) years of relevant experience, or a master’s degree and six to eight (6-8) years of relevant experience to management of USAID-funded projects;
- Technical experience in CVE, peacebuilding, conflict resolution, stabilization, or other relevant area;
- Professional proficiency in French (written and spoken);
- Four short term technical assignments totaling four to six months of field time;
- Experience supervising the work of junior staff members;
- Considerable skill and experience in USAID regulations;
- Experience in an international development donor funded setting and interacting with client representatives and other project stakeholders;
- Experience in writing reports; developing and monitoring proposal and project budgets;
- Experience in procuring goods and services and working with consultants and vendors;
- Strong writing and editing skills; excellent communication, organizational, and analytical skills;
- Ability to multi-task under tight deadlines; ability to travel internationally on short notice; and
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft programs (Excel, PowerPoint, MS project, etc.).
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Previous professional experience in West Africa.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.