Project Manager (m/f) – Rural Development - Gambia
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. Under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we carry out public service assignments in Belgium and abroad. In addition, Enabel enhances the impact of Belgium in international development by carrying out assignments for Belgian and international third-party donors.
The ‘Rural infrastructure for inclusive growth and employment creation’ project with a budget of 7,000,000 € is the Enabel contribution to the employment and migration programme of the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa in Gambia.
In order to contribute to the creation of jobs and activities in rural regions, the project aims to address the following axes:
- Strengthening existing hydro-agricultural works by the realisation of secondary water distribution and protection works, in order to increase acreage, productivity and the revenue from commercialisation of market produce and rice products;
- The realisation and sustainable management of structural investments allowing improving the performance of the agro-food value chains (storage, small-scale processing, commercialisation, transport…);
- Mobilisation of youths from the targeted areas for the realisation of the infrastructure mentioned through an employment-intensive approach combined with a vocational training programme leading to employment and entrepreneurship;
- Accompanying farmers through continuing education, the supply of small equipment, support to existing cooperatives…
The European Union demands that the Enabel project be implemented whilst creating synergy with other programme components (Member State agencies, international organisations and private actors…) and that the action starts soon.
The execution of the various project activities is ensured by Enabel, several types of providers/suppliers and the (semi)public and private partners showing confirmed added value in the achievement of the targeted objectives will be contracted by means of public procurement (Belgian legislation) and grants or by means of Specific Cooperation Agreements signed with Enabel.
The project manager is placed under the hierarchical authority of the Resident Representative of Enabel in Senegal. (S)he is guarantor of the achievement of the project’s result objectives. Therefore, (s)he shall:
- Ensure the management of operational and financial planning in view of guaranteeing a smooth start-up and the progress of results within the intervention and of optimising the realisation of the programme.
- Ensure consistency of the strategy defined, that the dialogue is put in place with the various actors and that transversal themes (gender, food security, climate change…) are taken into account;
- Develop synergies with the key partners and ensure the coordination of the Enabel component with that of other agencies;
- Coordinate the activities and ensure that the achievements comply with commitments and procedures;
- Manage the intervention team: define everyone’s roles and responsibilities, coach staff and define their objectives, ensure the proper development of their competences;
- Develop the intervention’s communication strategy and ensure its implementation.
- Hold a Master’s degree (agricultural engineering, rural development or agronomy)
- You have at least five years’ experience in steering international cooperation projects
- You also have five years’ experience in at least one of the domains of the assignment: institutional support to the management of productive infrastructure, production and value creation based on hydro-agricultural initiatives in rural regions, entrepreneurship
- You have proven experience with managing a preferably multidisciplinary team
- Fluency in English and French, both in speaking and writing
- You show good competency in project actor technical capacity development (State, communes, infrastructure managers, cooperatives’ officers, decentralised entities, civil society actors, enterprises, staff…)
- You can adapt to a fragile country’s living conditions
- Proven experience in an ‘Employment-Intensive’ method and continuing education programme is an asset
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa (Gambia and Senegal in particular) is also an asset
A contract of 38 months based in Banjul (Gambia).
Start date: as soon as possible
Monthly salary package: (cat.1 - B476) between 5.744,74 euro and 8.025,13 euro (this includes the gross monthly salary and the expat benefits: hardship allowance and expat allowance). The salary is calculated, depending on the composition of the family and the number of years of relevant experience.
Are you interested?
Is your profile matching the one we are looking for?
Do not hesitate and send us your application letter and updated CV, at the latest by 15/07/2018 via our website: