Job DescriptionAs a member of the Management Team of the Food Security and Agriculture Division, provide high level quality assurance and leadership in all aspects of project management and implementation. May have primary project management responsibility for a single, large project or portfolio of small projects. May also perform interim Project Manager and/or Project Coordinator roles per IDG PMI or provide short-term technical assistance as appropriate.
• Play key role in division•s strategic planning process, and drive the division•s work on Implementation Excellence.
• Proactively work with project management teams (Portfolio Managers, Project Managers, Project Coordinators, and Project Associates) to support work planning, resolve operational issues, and identify and manage risks. Plan and lead in-depth management reviews of projects as needed.
• Provide guidance and support to division Vice President, portfolio managers, and project teams on cross-cutting operations issues, including capturing and disseminating lessons learned across projects and ensuring an effective knowledge management system for project implementation and operations
• Ensure high-quality of project deliverables, client communications, financial management and operations for division portfolio.
• Mentor and support project management teams on project-specific financial and operational issues.
• Manage division participation in and response to issues identified in PPDRs.
• Provide direct project management support for key and complex projects and IQCs, and serve as backup/acting PM as needed on projects division-wide
• Serve as a resource and point person to PMSO, to ensure standards are applied across projects and programs and lessons learned from the division are captured and shared IDG-wide.
• Develop a division onboarding process, and organize and lead the orientation and training for new program management staff in RTI policies, procedures and systems.
• Work with division management/portfolio managers/project teams to create customized financial or operational solutions as needed.
• Apply financial and operational expertise to support business development, including participation in on proposal teams and in proposal reviews.
• Conduct analysis of HO resources allocated to projects and programs to coordinate and ensure back-up for project management staff when required (due to competing work requirements or leave).
• Supervise junior project staff and interns as required.
• Travel up to 20% domestically or internationally as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education & Experience:
•••Bachelor•s Degree in relevant social science or related field with 12 years of relevant work experience; or Master•s Degree in relevant social science or related field with 9 years of relevant work experience; or Ph.D. relevant social science or related field with 6 years of relevant work experience
•••5 or more years of experience working with project management teams and matrix environment in the development context
•••3 years or more experience in direct or indirect field management
•••5 or more years of experience and familiarity with agriculture and food security preferred•
Skills & Abilities:
• In-depth knowledge of USAID rules and regulations and project management practices in international development.
• Experience in project administration and operation support in international development.•
• PMP course work or certification strongly preferred.•
• Advanced proficiency in administrative and operational support skills and abilities.•
• Proven ability to work across technical and operational areas within business group.
• Ability to adapt to new systems and processes as required.•
• Advanced knowledge and skill with MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.•
• Proven ability to proactively manage and support complex and geographically disparate portfolios.•
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong ability to partner and influence.•
• Culturally sensitive and respectful.
• Proficiency in French or Spanish strongly preferred.
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture