Coordinate logistics, hospitality, security, finance and staff supervision. This provides valuable support to the programme staff, enabling them to focus on their core activities.
Currently Medair has a large nutrition programme in Aweil Centre County providing Nutritional services through ten clinics. Medair will extend complementary health programming and will work to improve the facilities in which both nutrition and health services are provided.
Field based position in Aweil, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Manage the daily functionality of the base, ensure utilities, food and other supplies are available, and that all other requirements are in place.
- Coordinate the routine maintenance of base infrastructure and equipment, repair items as quickly as possible using the most cost-effective solution.
- Liaise with external contacts, such as landlords, utility companies, local tradesmen and contractors, service providers, etc, ensuring services are delivered on time and on budget.
- Welcome and brief new Medair staff and visitors to the base, plan for their arrival by preparing food and accommodation, arranging transportation if required and ensuring they have all the information needed for their stay.
- Support the Finance officer and ensure all finance procedures are being correctly followed.
- Monitor base expenditure, ensuring the correct procedures are followed and that all payments are in line with base budgets.
- Support the HR officer to ensure recruitment is done correctly, and the recruitment tracker is accurately updated on a weekly basis.
- Support the HR officer to ensure payroll and record keeping of attendance and medical allowances are done correctly, and the national staff plan is accurately updated monthly.
- Support the HR officer to ensure HR documents are timely, correctly dealt with and filed following Medair filing procedures that allows for easy retrieval, including policy docs, objectives/appraisal docs, leave/medical docs, training docs, disciplinary docs, etc.
- Support the HR officer to ensure all staff receive adequate briefing and that complaints are dealt with adequately to succeed in their work.
- Draw up, manage contract overviews and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
- Submit accurate and timely internal reports as required by field management and Juba support office and contribute on request to external reports.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of base-related activities and requirements.
- Develop positive relationships with stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation.
- Manage and oversee the programme base staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- On occasions work with casual labour (including hiring, co-ordinating workload and payment) to achieve specific, time-bound tasks.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant professional experience in an administrative position, including Finance, HR, Logistics, and/or Base Management.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Problem solving ability. Strong administrative skills. Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required. Attention to detail.
- Team-player with good communication and inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, self-learner.
- Able to build trust and enforce procedures.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.