The Director General’s Office (DGO) of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a highly-motivated Proposal Coordinator to join its Partnerships and Business Development Unit. The ideal candidate will be innovative, self-motivated and goal-oriented, with experience crafting compelling messages out of complex and highly technical information. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting strategic proposal development and coordinating key proposal efforts across the institute.
This locally recruited position is a two year, fixed-term, renewable appointment and is located at IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington, DC.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Proactively liaise with research divisions to facilitate (inter)divisional efforts, streamline the process, strengthen the output, and track progress and staff input throughout the proposal process
- Perform competitive intelligence gathering through research and analytics, assist the Head of Partnerships and Business Development Unit to advise staff and senior management on strategy for approaching funding prospects (government, multilateral agencies, private industry, foundations and individuals) and implementation, advocacy and research partnerships. Focus will be on major donors such as USAID, DFID, the European Commission and others
- Work closely with and support research divisions from project concept creation to full proposal development, incorporating input from multi-disciplinary staff
- Provide high quality review for key proposals to ensure output complies y with proposal requirements, and facilitate professional service support (grant writer, editor, etc.), in collaboration with research divisions and finance
- Collaborate and communicate across the institute, specifically the, Institutional Relations Unit, communications, finance and research divisions
- Bachelor’s degree plus 10 years of relevant work experience, preferably 4 years of experience in a business development team supporting international development clients, including USAID and US government contracting
- At least 2 years of management experience
- Exceptional and demonstrated knowledge in proposal and concept note development targeting various funding sources (government, private industry, foundation and individuals), preferably in agriculture, nutrition and/or relevant fields
- Highly effective and versatile communication skills–both written and oral. Ability to effectively synthesize scientific/programmatic content for multiple audiences
- High level of professionalism, including the ability to diplomatically coordinate individuals with various disciplines to accomplish common objections
- Self-motivated, with proven ability to work independently and multi-task to accomplish key goals and complete projects
- Strong analytical skills
- Comfortable in a global team, including working well with team members and collaborators located in multiple time zones and countries
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed
- Master’s degree
- Proficiency in a second language of the U.N. system
- International experience, especially in Africa, Asia and Latin America
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and donor databases
- Background, or interest in, international development
About the Organization
IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition. The Institute conducts research, communicates results, optimizes partnerships, and builds capacity to ensure sustainable food production, promote healthy food systems, improve markets and trade, transform agriculture, build resilience, and strengthen institutions and governance. Gender is considered in all of the Institute’s work. IFPRI collaborates with partners around the world, including development implementers, public institutions, the private sector, and farmers’ organizations. IFPRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.