Proposal Officer works with the New Program Development Department together with technical and program staff to ensure successful completion and responsiveness of Jhpiego’s proposals across all donors, including US Government, Foundation, Corporate, U.N. bilateral and other funding sources. The Officer will primarily support Proposal Managers who are leading on complex prime proposals and will also directly manage sub or less complex prime opportunities to pursue Jhpiego’s strategic interests.
The Officer will conduct donor prospect research and support other efforts to pursue new business for Jhpiego, including participating in leads development, identification and dissemination of opportunities, scanning for potential new business opportunities, conducting opportunity analysis, having regular communications with field staff, tracking the status of results of ongoing projects and monitoring activities of competitors, partners and donors.
- Manage sub-proposals and less complex proposals without teaming or recruitment, or new technical areas (e.g. sole source to Jhpiego, opportunities without partners, replication of current work), where Jhpiego is the prime, including production of proposal submissions, assuring on-time delivery of all documents.
- In collaboration with program and technical staff, draft, edit and synthesize proposal content in the format that will be most appealing to the donor (e.g. concept note, slide deck). Content could range from pitch ideas, corporate capability statements, past performance references, and other related content.
- Develop proposal writing outlines.
- Support proposal managers and teams
- Analyze and manage opportunity feedback from stakeholders, including to support bid and no-bid decisions
- Provide regular reporting on proposal status and results
- Liaise with prime contractors and organizations related to specific proposal opportunities
- Work closely with the human resources office to identify and propose staff
- Ensure non-technical proposal content complies with client needs
- Support transition of awarded projects to implementation team
Enabling the NPD Function at Jhpiego:
- Identify and track potential procurements that are consistent with Jhpiego’s core competencies and strategic interests
- Gather, synthesize and support analysis of information about donors, partners and competitors
- Serve as NPD counterpart for select countries
- Nurture and maintain relationships with competitors, partners and donors, as appropriate
- Support teams to be prepared for external facing activities (introductory or pitch meetings, conferences/networking events, etc.). This could include but is not limited to: research on donors, synthesizing info on market into a landscape analysis, organizing slide decks, drafting key messages, and other prep
- Maintain updated information in Jhpiego’s internal-facing electronic libraries
- Support development and implementation of office processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency
- Draft, route and track contractual documents
- Capture existing proposal content, relevant donor feedback and program results to present in future proposals
- Support development, refinement and implementation of guidance, tools and processes to constantly improve the effectiveness & efficiency of NPD
- BA with 3 years of US Government, other governments, foundation and/or corporate proposal development and/or project management experience
- Working knowledge of international and US donor agencies
- Ability to multi‐task and prioritize in fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills
- Highly proficient in MS Office and online resources
- Ability to work additional hours during peak times such as proposal preparation and production
- Ability to self-manage, multi-task and prioritize in fast paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and analytical skills
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational and decision making skills
- Aware of and sensitive to working with diverse groups in a developing country environment
- Ability to travel independently internationally, particularly to low-resource countries
- 2 years of global health experience
- Advanced degree in relevant disciplines, including public health, international development, business administration
- Fluency (oral and written) in a second language (French - most preferred, Portuguese or Spanish
- One year experience living and working in low and middle income countries
- Familiarity with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.