Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Proposal Writer will be a member of the Business Development (BD) Department and work closely with the Department and cross-organizational teams to ensure the development and submission of highly competitive proposals to US Government (USG) agencies, private foundations, non-US governments, corporations and multilateral donors. Applicants should have extensive experience with writing proposals and in-depth knowledge of the processes of responding to Request for Applications and Request for Proposals solicited by entities such as US Agency for International Development (USAID), and US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), private foundations, and corporations. Must be a strategic thinker and excellent writer. The Director of Business Development supervises this position.
- For each proposal, work closely with the Technical Lead and proposal team to ensure that the proposal is well written, cohesive, organized according to donor requirements and that all technical proposal sections are consistent and aligned.
- Develop technical narrative outlines and draft select proposal sections with technical input, as agreed upon with the Technical Lead
- Gather information from key technical contributors and write and/or incorporate information into the technical strategy and approach of the proposal.
- Provide support to an efficient and effective response to donor tenders, including RFA/RFP analysis and reviewing proposal drafts for responsiveness to donor requirements.
- Work collaboratively with staff in country offices to ensure local context is fully reflected and proposals reflect country-based staff expertise and knowledge.
- Apply an understanding of solicitation requirements and additional documents, as needed, to ensure a deep understanding of the content. Review and summarize relevant source documents, as needed, to support development of an informed proposal.
- Facilitate strategy design sessions, as needed, including use of logical frameworks (log frames) as a design tool.
- Maintain close communication with the Technical Lead and Proposal Manager throughout proposal development process to ensure expectations of deliverables are aligned and internal deadlines are met.
- Provide comprehensive editing of proposals.
- Prepare documents that are needed for marketing the organization’s areas of expertise summarizing IntraHealth’s experience and successes.
- Support the identification, screening, and supervision of proposal writing consultants, as needed for surge support
- Travel may be required for selected proposal development efforts
- Master’s degree in public health, international development, or other relevant field of study and at least 6 years of relevant experience; or a Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. At least 3 years of successful experience writing proposals for USG, foundations and/or other donors.
- Excellent technical skills in proposal writing, editing, and formatting
- Proven ability to conduct extensive research and analysis to ensure proposals have country and technical relevance and context
- Excellent understanding of the proposal development process and proposal components; experience using logical frameworks (logframes) as a tool for project design
- Strong skills in prioritization and organization of work assignments
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel internationally, often on short notice, for proposal writing assignments that can last for one to three weeks, multiple times per year (as feasible)
- Working knowledge of a second language: French or Spanish is preferred
- Successfully work under short deadlines with competing priorities
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully in a remote working environment
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the OrganizationDedicated to strengthening health workers and the systems that support them, IntraHealth International has served the public health needs of developing countries for 30 years. We bring about positive change by harnessing the potential of technology, valuing the power of partnership, and maintaining a sharp focus on the health worker. To help close the gap in access to health care we have developed and share a depth of expertise in:
•Health workforce and systems strengthening
•Health worker training and performance
•Maternal, newborn and child health
•Family planning and reproductive health
•HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis prevention, treatment and care
•Malaria prevention and treatment
Founded in 1979 as the Intrah program at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, IntraHealth incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization in 2003. We have worked in more than 75 countries throughout our history, and currently have programs in over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Eurasia. Our work is funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Pfizer, Inc., the Tides Foundation, and by individual contributors.
IntraHealth’s main office is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. We also have offices in Washington, DC, Armenia, Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Lesotho, Mali, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Southern Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.