Requisition ID: req654
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
SCOPE OF WORK:
In partnership with UNHCR and other donors, the IRC is implementing a protection program including the following components: protection monitoring, information dissemination, referrals, case management, community based protection and legal services. Geographically, the protection program is implemented in the North governorate, Beirut and Mount Lebanon governorates, Baalbek-Hermel governorate, and the South and Nabatiye governorates.
The Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the development and implementation of protection monitoring, information dissemination and community based protection programming in all locations. They will lead the design of protection monitoring methodology, M&E systems, training materials for protection monitoring and community based protection project staff, and Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) regarding the sharing of data with the UNHCR and other actors. The Protection Coordinator will ensure the quality of protection data collection and analysis and ensure that succinct and accurate protection reports are prepared for dissemination to relevant stakeholders, and utilized to inform programming and advocacy both internally and externally. The Protection Coordinator will also play a key role in strengthening the IRC’s presence and leadership in field Protection Working Groups by attending relevant meetings, networking with other NGO actors and identifying potential partners for future programming. The Protection Coordinator will directly supervise four Protection and Information Managers, and one ICT4P Officer.
The Protection Coordinator will be based in Beirut. S/he reports to the Senior Coordinator for Integrated Protection.
* Provide a sound technical basis for the consolidation and harmonization of protection monitoring, information dissemination and community based protection programming across field sites, with an emphasis on maintaining and improving program quality.
* Ensure that all interventions are in compliance with the IRC’s protection mainstreaming framework, international law and protection standards and national policies.
* Oversee implementation of the protection Monitoring and information dissemination program through managing project work plans and budgets (budget forecasting, development of spending plans and budget follow-up), ensuring timely recruitment, quality implementation and accurate reporting in accordance with IRC and donor regulations.
* Ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems are effectively designed and integrated into all stages of the project; that output and impact data are captured and that data is used to optimize program quality.
* Provide continuous support to and ensure targeted capacity building of staff.
* Participate in cross-departmental collaboration and coordination in order to ensure that linkages between programs are made and programs gain from protection best practice; in particular with regular contact and coordination with Coordinators and Managers in WPE, CP, ERD, and Education.
New business development
* Contribute to the develop the IRC Protection sector strategy for Lebanon in close collaboration with Senior Coordinator for Integrated Protection, the Protection Managers, DDP/CD, other protection sector staff, and the Governance and Rights (Protection Team) Technical Unit
* Identify opportunities for, design and develop concept notes and proposals for further protection monitoring, information dissemination and community based protection programming, with a particular focus on UNHCR funding
* Develop and/or input into protection assessments and protection reporting analysis for the purpose of program development
* Provide protection input on proposals from other sectors to ensure protection is mainstreamed across IRC programming
Representation and coordination
* Coordinate with Senior Coordinator for Integrated Protection to forge connections with key government counterparts at the ministerial level, UN, I/NGOs, human rights actors, municipal and other sub-national government actors.
* Represent the IRC in field and national level and strategic meetings involving protection actors such as protection working group meetings, inter-agency coordination meetings, and bi-lateral meetings.
* Regularly coordinate with internal program and operational stakeholders, the Protection/Rule of Law Technical Advisors, Women’s Protection and Empowerment, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education and other IRC colleagues.
* In collaboration with the Senior Coordinator for Integrated Protection, provide input for advocacy purposes and support achievement of advocacy goals, as need.
* Advanced university degree in Law, Human Rights or a related field.
* 3-5 years experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
* Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
* Demonstrated experience designing and implementing M&E systems
* Strong strategic thinking and proposal writing skills
* Strong leadership, staff and budget management and capacity building skills.
* Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
* Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor.
* Experience in implementing programming that utilizes ICT, including in the collection and management of qualitative and quantitative data.
* Regional experience and fluency in Arabic.
SPECIFIC SECURITY SITUATION/HOUSING
The Protection Coordinator will be based in Beirut, Lebanon with travel throughout the country. The security situation in Lebanon continues to be stable. The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in remote and insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position. The Coordinator will live in individual housing.