Public Management, Governance, and Participation Div., RSDD, Regional and Sustainable Development Department
Closing Date: 8 February 2013 , 5:00 p.m. (1700 Manila Time, 0900 GMT)
Support the implementation of ADB’s Second Governance and Anticorruption Action Plan (GACAP II) and Capacity Development Medium Term Framework and Action Plan through provision of direct and corporate support to ADB’s regional departments. Ensures the quality of relevant knowledge products and learning programs in the area of governance, capacity development and anticorruption and their dissemination through internal and external networks, training delivery and other knowledge management tools. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
a. Policies, Strategies and Frameworks
- Support the institutional focal points for the Governance and Anticorruption policies and the Capacity Development Medium Term Framework.
- Review the efficiency and effectiveness of ADB’s governance, anticorruption and capacity development interventions and assist in the development and updating of policies, strategies, guidelines, and reporting systems.
b. Operational Advice and Support
- Work directly with ADB country teams to plan and undertake (i) governance risk assessments and/or (ii) capacity assessments to inform country partnership strategies.
- Provide operational support on governance, public financial management, anticorruption and/or capacity development activities, in coordination with other departments including review of and providing input to country and sector level governance risk assessments and capacity assessments.
- Provide technical advisory support to project processing and administration missions with respect to governance, public financial management, anticorruption and/or capacity development issues, including providing inputs to consultant TOR, interpreting guidelines, researching specific topics and participating in missions, as required.
- Process and implement regional technical assistance projects (RETAs) on governance, public financial management, capacity development, and anticorruption.
- Support administration of grant funds for the governance and/or capacity development thematic area, including the preparation of related annual workplans, administration guidelines, and progress reports.
- Support the implementation of GACAP II and the Capacity Development Action Plan by designing tools, guidelines, and training materials for governance risk assessments and capacity assessments.
Promotion of Regional Cooperation
- Lead the implementation of regional technical assistance (RETA) projects to achieve the objectives of governance and anticorruption policies and the capacity development medium term framework.
- Support the development and maintenance of regional partnerships to enhance knowledge and good practices on governance, public financial management, capacity development and anticorruption issues.
d. Knowledge Generation and Sharing
- Develop knowledge products, training programs and communication strategies to support implementation of GACAP II and the CD Medium Term Framework and Action Plan.
- Provide technical inputs to design of governance and capacity development learning programs.
- Participate as an active member of the Governance and Public Management Community of Practice, provide support to the secretariat functions, and lead on CoP work plan activities as assigned by the Chair.
- Assist in the development and ensure the quality of knowledge products (i.e. sector/ thematic studies and assessments, good practices, guidelines, checklists, indicators, roadmaps, etc.), services and partnerships to implement GACAP II and the CD Medium Term Framework and Action Plan.
- Supervise the maintenance of databases, websites and other resources containing relevant information on governance, capacity development and anticorruption issues, policies and programs.
- Oversee the preparation and organization of various media for knowledge dissemination within ADB such as newsletters, bankwide presentations, seminars, regional workshops, etc.
- Liaise and coordinate with bankwide departments, and other institutional partners for development and implementation of governance and capacity development learning programs.
- Participate in and help to design and deliver internal and external training, seminars, and conferences on governance, capacity development and anticorruption, in collaboration with development partner working groups and internal working groups.
e. Staff Supervision
- Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Finance, Capacity Development, or Development Studies or related fields; or University degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Finance, or Development Studies or related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in governance, public financial management, anticorruption and/or capacity development, or related area.
- Sound theoretical and practical understanding of governance, public financial management, anticorruption and/or capacity development issues in development countries, including those in Asia.
- Ability to liaise and deal effectively with the Board, Management and senior staff, as well as with senior functionaries in client governments and collaborator agencies.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information:
- Supervisor: Director, RSGP
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
Women are encouraged to apply.