The World Health Organization declared Nigeria a high burden country for tuberculosis (TB), multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB), and TB-HIV, in part because of its low case detection rate. Improvements in TB case notification would contribute to an easing of Nigeria’s TB burden while also preventing the further spread of the disease. To improve case notification, Nigeria’s National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP) is working to ensure that high-quality TB screening, diagnosis, and treatment services are available in both public and private sector health facilities.
In support of these goals, the USAID-funded Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus program is working across Nigeria to increase TB case detection and treatment through private sector approaches. In line with the International Standards for TB Care and Nigeria’s National Strategic Plan (NSP) for TB Control, SHOPS Plus is mandated to increase TB case notification by ensuring high-quality TB care through the entire TB service provision cascade in the public-private mix (PPM) settings. SHOPS Plus aims to increase the systematic screening of OPD attendees in clinical facilities and walk-in clients in stand-alone laboratories, community pharmacies (CPs), and patent and proprietary medicine vendor (PPMV) outlets. TB case detection will increase in private facilities with the prompt identification of presumptive TB, access to high-quality diagnostic services, and prompt treatment of diagnosed TB patients.
To rapidly scale up and maintain the coverage of high quality TB services in the private sector, SHOPS Plus will engage representatives of umbrella organisations/associations of private practitioners as well as private facility leadership for effective programming. In addition, the project will strengthen technical and program support to select private sector facilities. Program support will include mentoring of clinicians and other facility staff, closely monitoring the TB service provision and reporting, facilitating access to government provided free TB drugs kits, and helping address challenges associated with TB detection, referral, and treatment.
Objectives and Summary of Program Support through the Project Officer
The consultant will support implementation of project activities that will increase availability of TB services in the private sector, improve flow of suspected TB patients into detection and treatment centers, improve the quality of private sector TB services, and strengthen health systems to foster and sustain Public Private Mix (PPM) models for TB care.
The Project Officers will provide a full range of technical and project support including:
- Lead progam activities at the state-level in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara
- Oversee and support the work of six TB PPM facilitators located in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara
- Work closely with the TB PPM facilitators, SHOPS Plus State Coordinator, and the PPM expansion M&E Officer to ensure effective programming and reporting in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara
- Provide technical support to LGA TB Supervisors and ensure effective public-private collaboration as it relates to direct service delivery
- Assist in developing and implementing detailed action plans for activities
- Support private sector providers in capacity building through trainings and on-site mentoring activities
- Plan and carry out supportive supervisory visits to selected private providers using developed checklists
- Work with administrative and finance staff to plan and organize logistics for training and other events
- Carry out administrative duties including preparing and managing schedules, official correspondence and follow up, tracking budgets, and managing cash advances
- Contribute to communication, advocacy and knowledge management tasks including documentation and program report writing
- Contribute to activity monitoring and evaluation
Timeframe and level of effort
The PPM Program Management Consultant will provide oversight to SHOPS Plus program activities in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara and will provide technical assistance to the TB PPM Facilitiators and facility staff. The consultant will complete all deliverables outlined below. The initial period of engagement will be eight months from December 2019 – August 2020.
- Implementation plan for state program activities in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara
- Submit bi-weekly reports to the Lagos State Coordinator on program activites and progress made toward targets in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara
- Conduct quarterly supportive supervisory visits to providers in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara and submit SSV reports to the Lagos State Coordinator
- Review and follow up on weekly actvitiy reports submitted by TB PPM Facilitators in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara
- Timely review and submission of financial documents for activities conducted in the various states
Bachelor’s (BA) degree in health management, public health, health administration, or other relevant field. A Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) and a Master’s (MA) degree or other relevant certificates will be an advantage.
- Six years (BA) or five years (MA) of relevant work experience, especially with TB or other infectious diseases.
- Experience with private sector health service delivery
- Familiarity with the private sector health system in Ekiti, Bayelsa, and Kwara
- Ability to write technical papers and reports
- Strong abilities to implement capacity building activities, trainings, and workshops
- Ability to assess problems and develop solutions
- Computer skills in MS Windows, Excel, Word
- Ability to travel approximately 50% of the time
- Excellent organizational skills and oral and written communications skills in English
- Previous experience in TB projects with USAID funding or other donor agencies preferred
Please submit your application to NigeriaJobs@abtassoc.com. Be sure to put, “DESIRED LOCATION - SHOPS Plus Nigeria - Public-Private Mix Program Management Consultant Application” in the subject line of your email. For example, if you were applying to work in Lagos, your subject line would read: LAGOS - SHOPS Plus Nigeria - Public-Private Mix Program Management Consultant Application. If you would like to apply to more than one location, please submit an application for each location desired. Be sure to include your CV and any other revlent infomration in your email application. Note: you must attach a CV or your application will not be considered for employment.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com