Governance Consultant – Nepal Public Sector Governance Portfolio (based in Kathmandu, Nepal)
Oxford Policy Management (OPM) and the Public Sector Governance (PSG) Portfolio offers exciting projects, knowledgeable colleagues, and a unique and inspiring workplace. OPM has a strong background in delivering projects for a range of organisations including development partners, governments, and foundations. We believe our success is based on a unique combination of analytical and practical support across the policy cycle, from agenda setting to policy execution. Our broad expertise in the sector covers political analysis, performance management, institutional and organisation development as well as e-governance tools and technology.
OPM opened its office in Kathmandu in 2012, having 20 years of longstanding experience of working in Nepal prior to that. OPM Nepal works closely with OPM Oxford and other select partners to provide public policy analysis, advice, and support. OPM Nepal compliments and strengthens the company’s global experience and in-house technical expertise across sectors, effectively tapping into and collaborating with a widening range of local organisations and established networks.
The Nepal office and the Public Sector Governance (PSG) portfolio are seeking to build OPM’s governance practice in Nepal. We are looking to recruit a Consultant into the Kathmandu office. As a member of the PSG portfolio and the Nepal office, the successful candidate will work on projects implementing reforms in the way governments deliver services. You will work with governments to improve how they function, plan more strategically and effectively, and support for institutional strengthening and organisational development in some of the most challenging contexts globally.
We expect the successful candidate to work in the following areas:
- Delivery of technical work across a range of issues, both short-term consulting work and support to long-term public sector reform projects, in cooperation with developing country governments and international aid agencies;
- Support the management and delivery of the governance practice in the OPM Nepal Office;
- In consultation with the PSG portfolio and the OPM Nepal office, undertake acquisition activities and prepare expressions of interest and proposals for new work opportunities;
- Work across teams with staff from other portfolios, such as climate change and disaster resilience, health, education, social protection and extractive industries, to provide knowledge on public management, strategic planning and policy execution;
- Act as a role model and/or mentor to other members of OPM’s Nepal’s Office who are interested in the activities of the PSG portfolio;
- Contribute to the achievement of business and financial objectives of the organisation, including through the acquisition of work and meeting of individual targets;
- Foster good relations with clients including donor agencies and partner government ministries, taking an active role in developing new areas of work and potential new relationships through existing or new networks and contacts; and
- Contribute as required to general business and technical development activities such writing articles and participating in research and publication programmes as required.
Experience and Skills
Successful candidates should also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Enthusiastic, hard work and willing to learn. Demonstrating experience of proactively seeking out opportunities, and innovating
- A relevant post-graduate degree (Masters or PhD) from a leading university, and an excellent academic track record in one of the following: Public Administration, Law, Management, Economics, International Development, Development Economics or any other Social Sciences
- 5 or more years of experience in one of the following sectors: governance, public administration reform, economic management and reform, decentralisation and institutional development in Nepal or globally, public finance and other associated social policy sectors
- Competency in one or more of the following: public sector governance and institutional reform, public financial management, service delivery and accountable governance, political economy analysis, social policy sectors
- Ideally experience of working with Central and/or State government institutions; Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs), international organisations, public policy consultancies or large private sector organisations
- Experience working on M&E would also be a benefit.
- Reputation for technical excellence and positive relations with key stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and manage projects and diverse teams
- Strong client management skills
- A collegiate approach to team work, and a willingness to learn
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple competing priorities and assignments
- Willingness to travel
- Strong communication skills with excellent written and spoken English and a regional language. Fluency in Nepali is also required.
This is a full-time position based in Kathmandu. Please note that the successful candidate will need existing full right-to-work in Nepal. If required, applicants should be willing to undertake work-related travel to other international locations.
About the Organization
Oxford Policy Management is committed to helping low- and middle-income countries achieve growth and reduce poverty and disadvantage through public policy reform.
We seek to bring about lasting positive change using analytical and practical policy expertise. Through our global network of offices, we work in partnership with national decision makers to research, design, implement, and evaluate impactful public policy.
We work in all areas of social and economic policy and governance, including health, finance, education, climate change, and public sector management. We draw on our local and international sector experts to provide the very best evidence-based support.