- Short term input (maximum 50 days per year to June 2022 with potential extension to June 2023)
- Home-based with travel to South East Asia
- Remunerated a C3 on the Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF)
Investing in Women
Investing in Women (IW) is a multi-country Australian Government initiative in Southeast Asia that seeks to improve women’s economic participation as employees and as entrepreneurs and influence the enabling environment to promote Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE). It commenced in April 2016 with operations in the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar and is due to run through to June 2023. It is managed out of the Gender Equality Branch (GEB) of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Canberra. The Program is supporting the following outcomes:
- More businesses achieve improved gender equality in their workplaces
- Intentional impact investments in women’s small and medium enterprises (WSMEs) increase
- Positive shifts in gender norms related to workplace gender equality
For more information, see www.investinginwowen.asia
The Qualitative MEL Specialist - Impact Investing will work specifically on MEL for Pathway 2, through qualitative data collection, analysis and reporting. The findings will be used to assist Pathway 2 and impact investing partners to better understand how to adapt policies and practices to more effectively identify high-potential WSMEs and to effectively invest in them, and hence to support the development of an evidence base for impact investing in WSMEs using gender-lens approaches in South East Asia.
The role of the Qualitative MEL Specialist - Impact Investing is to:
- Review existing documentation including MEL reports and the Pathway 2 MEL System, and adapt the Impact Investing Partners (IIP) Case Study methodology and tools;
- Each quarter review IIP reports and lead on quarterly follow up calls with each IIP. (Other MEL team members and Pathway 2 members may also participate);
- Schedule and conduct annual in-depth meetings with each of the IIPs and provide a detailed report back to each partner, and to IW;
- Share findings of the IIP interviews with the Pathway 2 team;
- Coordinate interactions with the IIPs closely with the Pathway 2 team;
- Contribute to the analysis and write-up of the MEL Reports to IW and DFAT, to be led by the MEL Director; and
- Liaise regularly with the IW MEL team and the Pathway 2 team.
Further information regarding other key duties is included in the Information for Applicants attachment.
- Postgraduate education in business, management or social sciences, and at least ten years of aggregate, relevant work experience;
- At least five years practical experience providing technical assistance to the design, implementation and/or monitoring of SME development programs, (desirably with a sufficient focus on larger enterprises with annual turnover exceeding USD 1m p.a. and/or working with investors);
- Significant experience of working on private sector development programs with familiarity of social finance, impact investing and gender lens investing;
- Five years or more experience contributing to or leading applied qualitative research or evaluation processes in developing country environments;
- Experience integrating, monitoring and/or evaluating gender equality and womens’ economic empowerment within programs;
- Demonstrated capacity for clear written and verbal communication and effective cooperation in multi-disciplinary research teams;
- Demonstrated ability to build strong rapport with key stakeholders and informants; and
- Substantial experience working in the South East Asia region is desirable.
Further Information & Application
Further information regarding this opportunity can found in the Information for Applicants attachment in the ‘More Information’ section below. You can also view on the Abt Associates website: http://jtai.turborecruit.com.au/job/job_details.cfm?id=1044320&from=direct
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the key requirements listed above.
Applications close: 27 June 2019 – midnight (AEST)
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women and people with disabilities. We welcome and thank all applicants however; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.