Abt Associates is bidding to provide Independent Evaluation Services in support of USAID’s Evaluation of Two Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) program activities in Uganda. Abt is seeking a Qualitative Specialist to assist with the evaluation. The evaluation will include a qualitative component, for which it will be necessary to conduct qualitative comparative analysis. Qualified candidates have experience with QCA methods and conducting qualitative data analysis using analysis software. He/she should also be familiar with the OVC context in Uganda.
The purpose of the evaluation is to provide the Mission with rigorous evidence regarding the extent to which two ongoing OVC focused programs did or did not achieve impact on key outcome indicators and to identify factors or combination of factors, within and outside the program, which may explain how impact was achieved. It is expected that the contractor will conduct future data collections over the life of the program as well as data analysis and dissemination of findings. The design is a combination of a nested quasi-experimental approach with qualitative comparative analysis (QCA).
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the development of the qualitative aspects of the evaluation design, including providing feedback on evaluation questions
- Design a sampling plan and evaluation materials such as interview guides
- Conduct in-depth interviews, focus group discussions, and other qualitative research activities as needed to answer evaluation questions
- Train other team members on qualitative methods as needed
- Lead qualitative analysis, including qualitative comparative analysis, in collaboration with other team members
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree in economics, anthropology, sociology, qualitative methods, statistics, or other social science with research experience
- At least five years’ experience conducting/coordinating qualitative research (key informant interviews, focus groups, small-sample surveys, participant observation, etc.)
- Experience conducting qualitative comparative analysis and other qualitative analysis using analysis software
- Experience with impact and/or performance evaluation concepts and survey research
- Experience evaluating projects in the OVC Sector, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa
- PhD in respective field
- Experience evaluating projects in the OVC Sector in Uganda
This is a part-time consultancy position. The period of performance is five years, though candidates can expect that the first and last years will require more time than the interim years.
Application instructions: Please email your CV to IEGUgandaJobs@abtassoc.com.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com