Job DescriptionThe International Education Division is currently accepting applications for Reading Specialist for the anticipated USAID-funded Improving Public Education Outcomes (IPEO) Program in Lebanon. The 5-year activity seeks to improve learning outcomes (academic, social and emotional outcomes) for all students in public primary schools. Successful candidates must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English. The position is based in Beirut.
The Reading Specialist will be responsible for the overall management, implementation, oversight and direction of the reading program. Responsibilities include but are not limited to providing technical direction towards reading policy, coordinating all training, advising on teaching methodologies, leading the technical dialogue on reading with CERD and MEHE and managing the entire reading team.
- Provide technical leadership for the Lebanon IPEO curriculum development and teacher professional development activities.•
- Provide quality assurance in the design, implementation and evaluation of literacy curricula and materials in Arabic and other targeted languages were appropriate.
- Serve as the direct technical counterpart for MEHE and CERD in the development and adaptation of appropriate teaching and learning materials, including lesson plans in the target language(s)
- Coordinate input from other STTA reading experts and Lebanese organizations
- Leverage project M&EL data to inform adjustments in the project’s technical approach and ensure continued improvement in student reading outcomes
- Develop and strengthen new and existing partnerships with other education institutions, contributing to the creation and delivery of quality teacher professional development activities and trainings
- Collaborate with government partners and subcontractors responsible for coaching and community mobilization, to ensure the technical accuracy of their approaches
- Coordinate with other donors and NGOs working on literacy interventions in Lebanon to ensure that the reading program is coherent technically and does not have conflicting technical interventions at the regional and school levels
- PhD in education with a focus on reading competencies and outcomes.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated track record of working in area of reading.
- Prior experience with the development of early grade reading materials, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments, including EGRA, is required.
- Prior experience serving in a technical leadership capacity on USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and motivate personnel.
- Excellent communication skills and ability (verbal and written).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability.
- Must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English. It is preferred, but not required, that the candidate be conversant and fluent in Arabic and/or other local languages.
About the OrganizationIDG International Education