Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy, and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion, and the power of global collaboration. Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
IRI is looking for a qualified and experienced Deputy Regional Director in its Europe division based in the headquarters in Washington, DC.
- Four year Bachelor Degree in International Relations or related field, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Five to seven years professional experience in the international development field with specific focus on democracy building and international politics.
- Knowledge of and experience working in Europe. Experience work in and knowledge of the Balkans and Turkey a plus.
- Experience in managing teams of dedicated young professionals and a solid track record of improving team performance and maintaining team morale.
- Excellent track record in production of program related and external affairs documents such as program reports, publications, and social media content.
- Extensive experience working with donors, esp USAID, State Department and the National Endowment for Democracy, and successful track record in fundraising.
- Excellent spoken English and public presentation skills.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Knowledge of Southeast European languages a plus.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
While the Deputy Program Director fills a number of roles, the core duty of the Deputy Regional director is to assist the Regional Director (RD) in the management and oversight of the Europe Division and as an official representative of IRI’s programs. This core duty encompasses a number of responsibilities, which are outlined below.
External Outreach & Business Development
- Along with the Regional Director (RD), serves as an official senior IRI representative of the Europe division based in DC, developing credibility with and maintaining good relationships with IRI’s key stakeholders including US government institutions, donor agencies, and program partners.
- Participates in the substantive design of new programs and contributes to the development of program ideas.
- Works on business development efforts, including seeking and identifying potential new or additional sources of funding with real-time costs estimates for proposal budgets, and/or the development of new program ideas, in coordination with the Regional Director and the DC and field staff.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans on projects assigned, including drafting and updating program summaries and other outreach materials, web stories, tweets, etc.
Technical Support and Programmatic Excellence
- Works with the Regional Director to oversee the implementation of all program activities, ensuring consistency with grant work plans and objectives.
- Working with DC and field staff, monitors, analyzes and reports on political and economic developments and media responses.
- Oversees design of and monitors the overall adherence to monitoring and evaluation plans, including the monitoring of programs and evaluation/analysis of program results.
- Provides information and contributes to sections of quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for donors.
Management and Teamwork
- Establishes, maintains, and develops productive working relationship with relevant stakeholders, consultants, field and DC staff.
- Assists RD in supervising DC staff and field staff, including participating in the hiring and professional development for these staff.
- Assists RD in the oversight of IRI’s field office operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About the Organization
IRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth.