The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. The American Red Cross International Services Department (ISD) helps vulnerable people and communities around the world prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters and humanitarian crises through mobilizing the power of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. With programs and partners across the globe, and as part of the International Federation of Red Cross, the American Red Cross is working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent Network to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
The Regional Director provides leadership and management oversight for the American Red Cross programs in Latin America and the Caribbean. In addition, the Director will ensure effective coordination and planning with RC/RC and non-RC/RC partners as part of the overall programmatic strategies within International Response and Program (IRP) unit. The Director will manage the strategic program implementation and have overall operational responsibilities for activities in Latin America and the Caribbean, while ensuring that managerial, administrative, and financial procedures comply with provisions of the ARC and Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement (RC/RC) policies.
The LAC Director reports directly to the International Response & Programs Executive Director and will supervise regional staff including oversight of program offices in Colombia, El Salvador, and other countries. IRP’s Executive Director may assign additional specific program and/or management oversight responsibilities to the LAC Director in the future as needs dictate.
Specific responsibilities include:
- In consultation with IRP leadership and other Regional Directors, leads and ensures consistency in the development, management and implementation of the IRP strategic plan and multi-year operation plan to a rapidly expanding project portfolio covering disaster response, community resiliency and support to partner Red Cross societies.
- Ensures efficient and effective management of ARC resources in all areas by participating in program management reviews, identifies program management deficiencies and defines systems solutions including compliance to ISD and ARC corporate business policies and processes across the Latin America and the Caribbean portfolios.
- Facilitates and supervises LAC projects planning, budgeting and reporting to ensure carried out in a timely and appropriate fashion in accordance with ARC requirements, formats and standards; facilitates support to the National Society, other RC/RC entities or non-RC/RC partners in these areas when relevant.
- Works closely with NHQ (including International Services Finance; Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning, Business Operation, and Partnership and Policy, Preparedness, Response, and Recovery units) and field staff to provide and coordinate guidance in the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of LAC responses and programs that are aligned with program strategic and results frameworks, program standardization, coordination of technical assistance, and dissemination of best practices in technical areas.
- Oversees and ensures all security protocols are updated, known and followed region-wide.
- Directly supervises regional staff and manages and supports multiple program offices throughout the region. Hires, manages, coaches and motivates regional and country staff; monitors staff performance continuously, provides timely and targeted feedback to staff, and conducts performance evaluations; identifies and monitors staff development requirements and facilitates staff development opportunities.
- Develops and executes annual and multi-year business development strategies for the region’s fundraising, leads proposal development, and grows financial resources within the region, ensuring adequate and diversified financial resources.
- Represents ARC and builds productive relations with Movement partners, national authorities, international and national organizations, donors and other organizations represented in the country/region, as well as national and international media.
- BA/BS or MA in international studies, business management, public administration or relevant field required.
- Minimum of 7 years of international relief and development experience required, including in operations management and project implementation. Minimum of 5 years of managerial experience required.
- Prior overseas/field experience with international NGO, and /or RC/RC.
- Knowledge of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, international relief and development principles and operations management essential.
- Proven track record in successful planning, program design, proposal development, and grant management required. Flexibility, adaptability, initiative, orientation to results.
- Prior successful track record with international donors including USAID and Department of State required.
- Strong leadership skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and effective interpersonal skills required. Skillful in managing remote staff.
- Strong personal integrity and ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Computer proficient, especially in MS Office.
- Spanish fluency required.
This position is based in Panama City, Panama and requires up to 50% international travel.
About the Organization
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.