Regional Director Middle East
Department: International Programs
Location: Amman (Jordan) is the preferred location with frequent travel to the Middle East Country Offices (other locations considered within Middle East, London or DC)
Reports to: Senior Vice President International Programs
Staff reporting to this post: Six Country Directors (Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Yemen) and a Regional Management Team of four direct reports and two indirect reports
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 17 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About our Middle East Programs; RI in the Middle East has programs in six countries – Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Yemen, with a focus on the 4 main RI sectors: Health, WASH, Education and Economic Opportunity.
Relief International currently employs 3900 staff (direct and indirect) in the region and has a range of emergency response and development programs valued at 70 million USD on an annual basis.
The role of the Regional Director (RD) will provide guidance, supervision and support to Country Directors and senior managers within the Middle East region.
Directly responsible for the overall regional and country strategic planning, successful program delivery and performance management of country programs within the region. Additionally, have oversight of the program support operations (security, finance, HR, operations) and strengthening regional-level external relations and coordination. He or she will collaborate closely with all departments and support the Country Directors by making resources from the regional support team available, in order to ensure that programs meet the needs of partner communities and are implemented to the highest standards, on time and within budget.
As a member of the RI’s global Leadership Team you will provide insight and guidance on global-level strategy, approach, systems effectiveness and improvements to help strengthen the alignment of senior management and the CEO with our work in the field.
The RD will ensure strong leadership and management of all the members of the RI regional team. as to build team spirit, cohesion, motivation, commitment, quality performance and fulfillment of all agency functions and compliance with all agency policies and procedures, as well as commitments to our stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Strategic Planning and opportunities
· Strategically position the country and region for new opportunities, foster innovation, and identify new programming opportunities and partnerships.
· Support Country Teams with the development of partnership strategies locally and internationally.
· Work closely with the global senior management team to facilitate quality communications with organizational donors and partners on programme impact.
· Ensure strong engagement of the Health, WASH, Education, Economic Opportunity and Protection specialists to ensure strong program quality.
· Oversee the development and submission of concept papers, proposals and other funding opportunities to ensure a strong pipeline for our country programs.
Quality Program Delivery
· Oversee and lead a broad portfolio of programmes in line with the organisational strategy.
· Ensure the region has appropriate infrastructure to response in a timely effective way to Humanitarian emergencies.
· Ensure on-time, on-budget, on-target programme implementation, provide troubleshooting and guidance on issue management per organizational standard processes and approaches.
· Work with the Operations team, Award Management, Program Development, Global Assurance, Technical Advisory teams to promote continuous quality improvement of country programmes.
· Liaise with the CFO and Finance team to conduct monthly reviews of field programme, and exceptional item expenditure, approval of no cost extensions, cost rates and annual budget processes.
Leadership and Management
· Provide effective leadership and management of the six Country Directors and four direct reports in the Regional Management team
· Ensure the effective performance management and learning and development of staff in the region.
· Security and wellbeing of all staff and operations are effectively are managed in the region.
Organizational risk management
· Work closely with global assurance team to review and prioritize risks identified for all country programs.
· Take steps to mitigate organizational risk for all the Middle East operations through the close collaboration with all departments and support the Country Directors.
· Provide timely updates to the SVP International Programs and CEO on all aspects of program work and present updates to relevant Boards.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position will require a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
· Track record of achievement in a previous, similar role.
· Significant experience in the development and/or humanitarian sector including direct management of country programmes.
· Ability to lead/motivate teams in a positive and professional manner
· Demonstrated proficiency with government grants, public/private donors and finance management.
· Strong organisational analytical and administrative skills, including a strong ability to focus on detail and quality assurance.
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet challenging deadlines.
· Ability to work and manage a highly complex security situations within the middle east context
· Ability to analyze complex organizational challenges and present innovative solutions.
· Excellent relationship management skills and ability to communicate in all forms (written, verbal, negotiation, presentation skills, etc.)
· Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice, as required for the successful implementation of the role.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
· Transparency and accountability
· Agility and innovation