Norwegian People’s Aid Humanitarian Disarmament is seeking two Regional Finance Advisors (for Africa/Latin America and Europe/Middle East)
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament’s vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
In order to support and train our management and finance staff working in complex and difficult contexts, we are now seeking two regional finance advisors (RFAs). One position is based in Zimbabwe and will cover our programmes in Africa and Latin America. The other position is based in Bosnia and Herzegovina and will cover our programmes in Europe and the Middle East. Both positions involve substantive amounts of international travelling, often for prolongued periods of time.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Financial training of and advice to finance staff and programme/country management
- Practical finance support (such as bookings in Agresso, development of budgets, closing of accounts etc.)
- Maintaining and disseminating a deep understanding of donor rules and regulations
- Advising and supporting Head Office on financial issues in the programmes
- Taking on controller function when requested by Head Office
- Occasional gap-filling at finance manager level as well as programme manager/country director level
- Any other task assigned by the NPA HO
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- A degree in financial management or similar, including formal training in budgeting and accounting
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience (e.g. as a financial controller, finance manager, finance advisor), including budgeting and accounting
- Experience working with donor funded programmes/projects
- Leadership/management experience
- Experience from a multicultural/international environment
- Experience working with Windows-based software
- Solid numeric understanding and well developed analytical skills
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (at all levels), and a pedagogical approach
- Highly developed analytical mind and approach
- Ability to work independently, under limited and remote supervision
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
Work experience from an international NGO, preferably in the mine action, humanitarian or development sector. The ideal candidate speaks and writes Norwegian or another Scandinavian language, Arabic, French or Spanish. It is also desirable with knowledge of ERP, ideally Agresso.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. The position covers a large geographical portfolio, involving several time zones. It requires extensive travel and flexibility, inter alia to countries/locations with high levels of security and health risk.
While the geographic portfolios of the RFAs are currently defined as Africa/Latin America and Europe/Middle East respectively, this may change if circumstances deem it necessary or desirable. The RFAs may also be asked to support programmes outside their regions on an ad hoc basis, in accordance with the needs of the HD department.
One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organisation, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal. Closing date is 1st June 2018.
Helene Ystanes Føyn
Head of Programmes
+47 469 21 585
Rune Kristian Dale-Andresen
Deputy Director Humanitarian Disarmament
+47 924 11 651