SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Regional Finance Operations Manager works closely with the Senior Regional Finance Operations Manager for the region as well as other Senior Regional Finance Operations Managers, to ensure field office financial structures and systems are consistent with IntraHealth systems and donor reporting requirements. S/he works closely with HQ Program Staff, Country office finance staff, Contracts, Grants & Procurement, Budgeting and Ops Finance Team, Compliance & Safety and Security team and country office technical staff to establish, develop, and strengthen uniform practices and procedures in support of international field operations to the maximum extent practical.
This position is responsible for providing financial management and support to IntraHealth’s country programs as assigned in areas such as registration, taxation, inventory management, etc. which are necessary to effectively manage financial risks. A team approach is encouraged; however, specific countries are assigned based on geographic and size considerations. It is expected that s/he will be responsible for a portfolio of between 15 million to 25 million spend per year.
The Regional Finance Operations Manager reports to the Senior Regional Finance Operations Manager for East Africa and will be based in East Africa (Uganda and Tanzania preferred).
- Establish close working relationships with country office financial and senior management staff.
- Contribute to the overall IntraHealth country support team.
- Serve as a critical connection on financial matters between the country office and the Finance & Administration Division in the United States.
- Providing local cost or pricing data to the Pricing Analyst, as needed, for countries in the region
- Assist with the collection and review of local partner budgets and share feedback with the Pricing Analysis or BD Manager as appropriate
- Review proposal budgets to ensure alignment to the technical proposal, and compliance with donor rules and IntraHealth policies
- Review or assist in developing appropriate local fringe rate pool for use in proposal budgeting
- Research and investigate registration requirements during the proposal phase
- Keep abreast of donor trends in the region through focal points within and external to the organization
- Assist as necessary in formulating responses to any cost questions in the event of a BAFO (Best and Final Offer) round
Budget and Budget Monitoring
- Assist the Senior Regional Finance Operations Manager, as necessary in assuring the country offices’ efforts to gather, analyze, summarize, and prepare financial plans, budgets, cash flow projections, pipeline analyses, and operating forecasts
- Work with field finance director to develop accurate monthly accruals and projections, including financial dashboards and pipeline analyses, to support forecasting accuracy and project completion as required
- Monitor actual expenditure levels against budgets and funding obligations
- Assist in the annual budgeting process for assigned projects including the request of opening of new templates in the budget platform and review of revenue/workplan budgets in the budget platform
- Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphic packages to assemble, manipulate, format data and/or reports
- Process monthly country office QuickBooks uploads into the corporate accounting system
- Review monthly country office cash requests including monitoring cash holding in the field offices
- Provide any accounting reports that may be required by HQ Accounting from time to time, e.g., Balance sheets, P&L, travel information, e.t.c.
- Interpret financial transactions and events for non-financial staff
- Establish and implement uniform financial practices and procedures in support of international field operations
- Advise program staff in determination of allowable and allocable program costs and advise staff where contemplated costs should be charged
- Ensure financial requirements stated in award documents are met
- In collaboration with field finance staff and CGP, review sub-award contracts/modifications and facilitate in pre-award assessments as needed
- Work closely with field finance staff regarding compliance over direct project and sub-award expenditures to assist in the follow-up of required sub-award compliance matters such as risk assessment, reporting, audits, etc.
- Follow-up with staff submitting invoices to donors to ensure timely submission of reports and invoices in compliance with terms and conditions of the grant/contract
- Participate in the roll-out/implementation and follow-up of any new policies and procedures at field office level
- Assist with opening and closing of country offices and awards
- Facilitate opening of new bank accounts, deletion or addition of signatories, and processing Power of Attorney documentation
- Monitor country office registration expiry dates and facilitate renewals (including ensuring adherence to local laws relating to registration and filing of returns)
- Provide training and capacity building to country office financial staff as needed, which will necessitate travel within the region
- Contribute to the selection of new country office financial staff in assigned offices as well as ensuring they have the proper access rights to various online financial tools
- Serve as a resource person during the annual inventory certification process
- Backstop as necessary in the event of an absence of in-country financial staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field and 5 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of USAID and other Federal programs fiscal and compliance requirements, principles and practices
- Understanding and interpretation of USG Assistance and Acquisition rules and guidelines.
- Demonstrates a management style that works in cooperation with others who represent a wide range of interests and needs
- Effective communicator with ability to communicate organization’s direction and ability to motivate others with strong, honest leadership
- Demonstrated ability to conduct effectively manage several major activities simultaneously
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Extensive experience supporting USG funded complex health projects including annual work plan and budget development, financial and risk management, USAID rules and regulations, and project and financial reporting. Contract management experience highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal stakeholders (i.e. HR, Finance, Contracts and Grants, Programs, Communications, and Business Development) and with external stakeholder groups (i.e. funders, government officials, private sector, civil society, faith-based) and facilitate participatory discussion and joint decision-making.
- Significant experience and ability working both independently and in a team configuration
- Strong written and spoken English is required
- Experience working in a regional office structure preferred
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically approximately 25% time.
- Innovation-Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
- Accountability-Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence-Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Strategic Thinking-Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
- Client Relationship Management-Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy client needs (internally and externally) and maintain partnering and productive relationships during engagements, including influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, and managing new relationships.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written)-Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the Organization
Why Choose IntraHealth?
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.