The Regional Financial Controller is responsible for reviewing Project finance and accounting functions, evaluating the effectiveness and efficiency of processes and internal controls, identifying weaknesses, and providing recommendations to mitigate those weaknesses. This position proactively works with management to ensure compliance with policies, laws, and regulations. Trains project staff on recommended changes and corrections noted during the reviews noted in the above activities.
Additionally, the role involves working closely with Winrock’s regional finance team and gaining an understanding of each project’s finance needs and performing project risk assessments. This work could include assistance with the monthly review of project financial reports to gain an understanding of each project’s specific risks and requirements. The position involves significant travel throughout South East Asia to Winrock projects and the candidate needs to be a self-starter, comfortable working independently.
The candidate will have a unique skillset combining project finance and accounting experience, knowledge of governing regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, financial audits, risk assessment experience, and staff capacity building, including training and mentoring of project finance staff.
DUTIES AND Responsibilities:
- Perform review of project accounting procedures and internal controls, including identifying and defining issues, developing criteria, creating a review plan, reviewing, analyzing, and documenting evidence
- Perform project risk assessments
- Obtain and evaluate internal accounting and operational documentation
- Prepare and present reports regarding findings
- Develop recommendations and formulate process improvements and cost saving actions
- Provide training to project finance teams regarding issues found and how to remediate them.
- Conduct follow up assessments and reviews to ensure all recommendations are being implemented
- Report any deviations from established Winrock policies, applicable laws, and regulations
- Ensure standardization of financial policies and procedures across projects
- Support financial function of individual projects in the region as needed
- Participate in the hiring of finance and accounting staff for projects and regional office needs
- Support project financial audits and in-country statutory audits as needed
Qualifications and Background:
What are we requiring for this role?
- Knowledge of the international development funding arena desirable
- Aptitude for understanding complex regulations and monitoring financial transactions and documentation for compliance
- Thorough knowledge of US Government rules and regulations required, USAID experience preferred
- Knowledge of project accounting cycle from proposal to closeout
- Understanding of audit processes
- Excellent oral, written communications, and problem-solving ability
- Excellent computer skills, including advanced Excel skills and experience with automated accounting systems; QuickBooks Pro experience required
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Cross cultural sensitivity
- Strong e-mail communication skills, ability to write in a manner sensitive to cultural differences, and provide clarity to staff where English is not the primary working language of the project
- Ability to train/mentor staff in accounting requirements and processes
- Ability to take initiative in a strong collaborative environment, often with tight deadlines
- This position requires 50+% travel, candidate must be able to obtain visas throughout South East Asia and travel to the US on occasion
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- A minimum of seven years of demonstrated experience in the accounting/finance/administrative area.
This position will be based in South East Asia and the candidate must be eligible to live and work in their host country.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources.