Abt Associates seeks qualified candidates for three regional positions in Africa (Kenya, Ghana, and South Africa) for Regional Investment Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). This position is located in Johannesburg, South Africa. ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The Regional Investment Director will lead all activities in their region that generate investment between the U.S. and Africa, connect African firms to potential investment opportunities, and support the improvement of the investment climate in Africa.
This position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- For the assigned region, lead the strategy and implementation of investment and transaction project activities that will generate interest and deals between investors in the United States and Africa;
- Develop and manage the region’s team of investment facilitators
- Collaborate with stakeholders in investment and trade, including public and private stakeholders such as the regional or country-specific businesses, and officials/deal teams in the U.S. Embassies, including USAID, Department of Commerce, Department of State, DFC, USTR and other USG entities, African governments and institutions, development banks, chambers of commerce, and other entities to identify investment opportunities
- Engage with governments and financial institutions (lending banks, MFIs, private equity, investment funds, development finance, and foundations) to facilitate greater access to financing and catalogue the innovations in risk sharing and blended finance that can be replicated with partners in the region
- Manage the coordination and technical aspects of subcontractor and grantee activities related to investment opportunities
- Review investor’s financial proposals together with business clients to assess the viability of proposals and advise clients as appropriate
- Manage and oversee plans and financial statements to build bankability and properly advise on potential investments, market alliances or other growth opportunities
- Manage and oversee the regional investment team’s financial specialists to understand and facilitate entrepreneur’s varying needs for appropriate financing mechanisms
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with financial institutions and private sector partners
- Provide reporting on investments and opportunities to meet USAID and other reporting requirements
- MBA or Master Degree finance, economics, mathematics, accounting or similar field
- At least 12 years of professional experience working in analyzing investments
- Investment experience, including any experience working with debt, quasi-equity, as well as experience with blended finance and impact investments
- Experience working with public and private stakeholders and clients
- Relevant work experience in Africa
- At least 5 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role and collaborating with remote teams
- Fluency in English required
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.