Position at a Glance
Activity: Development of Guidelines for Independent Power Producer (IPP) Integration to the SAPP Interconnected System for Cross Border Trading
Contract Type: Independent Consultant
Recruitment Type: SADC Country Resident
Project: Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP)
Outcome: Outcome 3 - Cross Border Trade
Location: Can be based in any SADC country. Travel to Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa and two other SAPP Member Countries will be required
Delivery Range: 4 months
Estimated Level of Effort: 50 days
Language Requirement: English
Deloitte Consulting LLP seeks a short-term Power Utility Transmission & Distribution Advisor to support Outcome 3 of the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP): improved regional harmonization and cross border electricity trade. Specifically, SAEP is working to improve planning, operational and trading capabilities of market participants working within SAPP (Southern African Power Pool). This will improve the operations and increase the transmission capacity, reliability and redundancy of the SAPP interconnected transmission system. At the same time, it will optimize the Southern African power market and enhance the commercial viability of major regional infrastructure projects.
Position Description and Responsibility
Although SAPP members engage one another in bilateral and spot market trading, opportunities exist to review and enhance current practices and to allow more participants into the market. SAPP has received numerous enquiries for IPPs to become members of SAPP in order to undertake cross border trading. There are, however, technical considerations that need to be taken into account when IPPs undertake cross border trading, especially where such IPPs are connected on the distribution systems. As such, there is a need to develop guidelines for connecting IPPs to the SAPP interconnected system for cross border trading.
The Consultant shall use his/her education, experience, knowledge of international best practices, and additional understanding gleaned from the background and objective specified in sections A and B above to accomplish the following:
1. Engage with SAPP to determine the outcomes of the activity through:
- Consultation with the SAPP Legal Working Group; they are currently reviewing the existing guidelines
- Scoping meeting with the SAPP Coordination Centre (SAPP CC)
- A signed off detailed Scope of Work (SOW)
2.Gather input information and data which will include:
- The current SAPP Access Guideline, Inter-Utility Memorandum of Understanding (IUMOU), SAPP Operating Guidelines, Agreement between Operating Members, and any other relevant guidelines
3. Preliminary analysis and reporting of the gathered information which will include the:
- Review of current guidelines for possible enhancements
- Benchmark of current SAPP practices on new generator access with other relevant power pools
- Discussion of possible enhancements to existing SAPP guidelines with SAPP and the Regional Electricity Regulator Association (RERA)
4. Complete an inception report signed off by SAPP and RERA, which may, depending on the outcome of the preliminary observations, result in an improved and enhanced SOW
- For validation purposes, request SAPP/RERA to suggest one IPP candidate which will be used to test the guidelines
5. Develop preliminary new access guidelines document and receive comments from the SAPP and/or RERA Executive Committee
6. Finalize access of new generator guideline:
- Incorporate Exco feedback
- Obtain approval of final guidelines from the SAPP and/or RERA Exco
- Prepare training material
- Conduct training for SAPP and RERA on the new guidelines
- Develop and issue a report which summarizes the training, lessons learned which can be used as a tool for providing access to new generators in an interconnected system
Educational Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in related fields
- Minimum 15 years of practical experience working with utilities and 5 years in a supervisory or management position
- Must have experience in developing country environments and experience in Southern Africa would be an advantage
- Experience interfacing with National Control Centers and the SAPP CC
- Experience in utility T&D operations, performance improvement, loss reductions and connections
- Demonstrated understanding of power system economics
If you are interested, please email your CV with the cover letter to email@example.com before 17:00 EDT on June 20, 2018. You must reside in an SDAC country to apply.
About the Organization
Deloitte LLP is the U.S. member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and services are provided by its subsidiaries (the Deloitte U.S. Entities), including Deloitte & Touche LLP, which provides audit, assurance and risk management related services, Deloitte Consulting LLP, which provides strategy, operations, technology, systems, outsourcing and human capital consulting services, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP.
Deloitte Consulting LLP (Deloitte Consulting) is one of the world’s leading consulting firms for business strategy, operations, technology, and human resources planning. Deloitte Consulting provides services that are designed to bring together the unique experience, scale, and capabilities of their professionals to help clients in their efforts to address their most complex business problems.
The Emerging Market sector of Deloitte Consulting works with clients to implement economic reforms, support financial and private sector growth, and develop capacity.