Overall objective of the position:
Member of the senior management team of Action Against Hunger, the Regional Operations Director participates in the elaboration and development of Action Against Hunger strategic orientations and their implementation in the field, together with the Country Directors and the HQ team he/she manages. He/she represents ACF’s mandate and implements it in the field.
Under the supervision of the Operations Director and following Action Against Hunger policies, the Regional Operations Director is responsible, in his/her region, of:
- Analysis and follow-up of the humanitarian context and propositions of positioning and interventions that result of it
- Framing, validation and follow-up of strategic interventions’ implementation
- Direct management of Country Directors, Deputy Regional Director of Operation and Regional Finance Manager
- Team spirit and collaboration of teams in the field and HQ
- Framing, validation and follow-up of financial programming
- Security control of the organization’s people and goods
- Management of operations quality, implementation of tools for control of activities, implementations of recommendations based on evaluations and audits
- Institutional and private donors prospective, contracts negotiation to ensure funding of strategic interventions
- Implementation of advocacy actions
- Representation of Action Against Hunger vis-à-vis institutional representatives, donors, media…
- Team management: manage his/her team keeping in mind at the same time an objective of performance and of development of people’s capacities (autonomy, initiatives, progression…) in a manager-coach posture.
- Analysis and suggestions on missions’ humanitarian action: identify and analyze key indicators on his/her scope in order to design short term and midterm of Action Against Hunger’s operational environment and engage Country Directors to have a continuous prospective reflection allowing to step back, give or restore meaning and anticipate tomorrow’s strategies and innovations.
- Strategic management of missions: contribute to the elaboration / update of Action Against Hunger’s strategic orientations at a global scale, as well as for its intervention scope (types of needs to be addressed, expertise, timing…) conducting a strategic reflection and validating subsequent strategies for each country, within its perimeter.
- Accountability and economic piloting of missions: be in charge of accountability of missions related to all factors impacting programs’ performance (short and long term) while playing an effective role of intermediate between HQ and missions. Ensure that requests and demands from functional department towards missions are smoothly taken into consideration, and vice-versa.
- Operational collaboration with Country Directors: give an operational support to Country Directors on subjects related to their own responsibilities but that they cannot assume in their country scope in a logic of subsidiarity (the regional Operations Director solves problems that country directors cannot solve).
- Development of connections and operational partnerships: ensure connections with all internal (Action Against Hunger Direction / network) and external actors (particularly donors but also partners, governments, other NGOs…) who could be mobilized to better serve their scope needs.
- Transversal collaboration, contribution to improving and disseminating of the organization’s knowledge and know-how: manage the development and updating of standards and principles related to modalities of humanitarian operational intervention and contribute to the ones managed by support departments.
- External communication and representation of Action against Hunger: be the spokesperson of Action Against Hunger and protect the organization’s interests externally.
About the Organization
Created in 1979, Action Against Hunger is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency - has been part of its identity for more than 35 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: nutrition and health – healthcare and care practices - food security and livelihoods – water, sanitation and hygiene – advocacy. In 2015, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 13.6 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org