We are looking for a highly skilled, creative Regional Operations Team Lead to manage an 8 – 10 person team, execute day-to-day Regional Operations, providing high-quality on-time support/services to Country Teams, while developing a system to proactively manage and flag risks in the portfolio and identify actions required to remove bottlenecks/challenges to achieve overall organizational goals.
Action Against Hunger has led on a number of large-scale emergency operations in the Horn & Eastern Africa since the 1980s, and continues to play a leading role in building the resilience of local communities to multiple shocks through innovative programmes, especially in fragile contexts.
The Horn & Eastern Africa Regional Office supports Action Against Hunger’s operations in the region by providing coherent, efficient and adapted support to the country offices. It also ensures better engagement with regional stakeholders to allow for enhanced exchange of knowledge and expertise with regional and country partners. Our Regional Office allows us to gain a better understanding and be more responsive to the political, social and economic complexities of the operating environment. It also ensures that decision-making is made closer to the frontlines. The regional team, based in Nairobi, Kenya, under the leadership of the Regional Director, is composed of technical and operational specialists essential for running humanitarian, resilience and development programmes. The team leads on adopting new ways of working and leverages opportunities at the regional level to enhance capacity for delivery at the community level in the countries where we operate.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
overseeing the implementation of Action Against Hunger’s day-to-day Regional Operations, providing high-quality on-time support/services to Country Teams, while developing a system to proactively manage and flag risks in the portfolio and identify actions required to remove bottlenecks/challenges to achieve overall organizational goals.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Line manage an 8 – 10 person Regional team, ensuring team cohesion and motivating individuals, ensuring high quality and timeliness of services provided to Country Teams.
- Develop an integrated dashboard and meeting rhythm to monitor strategic alignment of portfolio & grant performance across all East Africa countries.
- Develop a system to receive, organize, prioritize and respond to Country Team requests in a timely and high-quality manner.
- Deploy Regional Team effectively to respond to country needs, ensuring highest priorities are fully addressed.
- Create a joint-action plan with each Country Director to address Country Coordination Team capacity gaps and risks, and specific areas of support from the Regional Team.
- Provide input to HQ teams on tools, trainings, or other support required to streamline support services and address observed systematic challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social/Development/Humanitarian studies or any other related field.
- 3 - 5 years project management experience, with previous experience in the NGO sector an advantage
- Good anticipation, adaptation, planning skills, especially in changing work contexts.
- Good budgeting and grant management skills.
- Experience communicating in different cultural work environments.
- Good communicator: verbal and written.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and able to stay calm under pressure.
- Good diplomatic and negotiation skills.
- Service mindset, problem solving skills
- Strong understanding & experience of Humanitarian Principles.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to gender equity and diversity.
- Proficient in English language; knowledge of French and Arabic is an added advantage.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
What we offer.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
For an all-inclusive list of benefits check the Action Against Hunger-USA Website
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button”https://action-against-hunger.workable.com/jobs/781260”. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications: 15th of August 2018 5.00 PM EAT.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For further information about Action Against Hunger-USA, please visit our website www.actionagainsthunger.org