Position: Regional Program Development Manager – Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya, with field travel (60%)
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: Relief International currently seeks a Regional Program Development Manager (RPDM) with a focus on the Africa Region. The RPDM will be responsible for donor engagement and capture management (approximately 50%) and managing and/or assisting in proposal development (approximately 50%). The RPDM will travel (at least 60%) to field sites as well as other countries as needed. The RPDM reports to the Vice President of Program Development.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Donor Engagement and Capture Management (approximately 50%)
- In coordination with the regional and country teams:
- Support development of RI strategy in Africa and ensure coordination with overall program development strategy;
- Maintain regular engagement with donors, international organizations, national governments, foundations, etc., to track donor trends and priorities and inform HQ of upcoming program priorities;
- Represent RI to the donor community as needed and inform donors on RI regional and country efforts;
- Attend relevant meetings and networking events (e.g., regional and national coordination meetings, relevant RFA/P meetings, donor consultations) as needed for the performance of duties;
- Maintain outreach with relevant international and local NGOs as well as private sector firms in order to facilitate partnerships needed for program development opportunities; and,
- Develop capture plans and conduct completion analysis on upcoming priority proposals.
Proposal Development (approximately 50%)
- Engage in needs assessment for project proposals as necessary;
- Contribute to program design, for solicited and unsolicited programs, and for pilot and full scale programs;
- Where proposals are pending with donor agencies, meet with donor officers to ensure program plans represent a good fit with donor objectives;
- Participate in the preparation of funding proposals, including leading proposal writing efforts as well as costing efforts;
- Track country and regional proposal efforts and report to PD team on status;
- Support effective go/no-go decisions and cost share analysis;
- Serve as PD focal point for the countries in Africa that RI works in;
- Build the capacity of regional and country teams in program development; and,
- Ensure review process and submission is completed, within submission deadlines.
- Undertake travel as required in the pursuit of the above tasks;
- Prepare regular activity reports for HQ;
- Undertake other ad hoc tasks, as instructed by HQ; and,
- Operate within RI policy, setting an example for other field staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to field offices.
- MA in international relations, business administration or other relevant field
- 5 years’ minimum experience INGO context, previous experience with USAID preferred
- 10 years’ minimum relevant work experience with progressively increasing responsibility
- Proven success in grant writing, net-working and liaising with field and HQ staff when necessary
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
Please note: Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be processed prior to any closing date listed on any job board.
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.