Position: Regional Program Development Manager – Asia
Location: Manila, Philippines (or remote in SE Asia) with field travel (60%)
Reports to: Global Program Development Director
Duration: 12 months from June 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020
About RI: Relief International (RI) specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement and natural disasters are pervasive. Often RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
Position Summary: Relief International seeks an entrepreneurial business development professional for its Regional Program Development Manager (RPDM) position in Asia. The RPDM, working collaboratively with the Asia Regional Director, country teams and with a direct senior-level reporting line to the Director of Program Development, will thrive in an entrepreneurial senior team dedicated to building high-impact programming. The successful candidate will be creative and relentless, driving results that will fuel RI’s strategy. The RPDM will be responsible for donor engagement and capture management (approximately 30%) and managing and/or assisting in proposal development (approximately 70%). The RPDM will travel (at least 60%) to field sites as well as other countries as needed.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Donor Engagement and Capture Management (approximately 30%)
- In coordination with the regional and country teams:
- Support development of RI PD strategy in Asia and ensure coordination with overall program development strategy;
- Maintain regular engagement with donors, international organizations, national governments, foundations, etc., to track donor trends and priorities and inform HQ of upcoming program priorities;
- Represent RI to the donor community as needed and inform donors on RI regional and country efforts;
- Attend relevant meetings and networking events (e.g., regional and national coordination meetings, relevant RFA/P meetings, donor consultations) as needed for the performance of duties;
- Maintain outreach with relevant international and local NGOs as well as private sector firms in order to facilitate partnerships needed for program development opportunities; and,
- Develop capture plans and conduct completion analysis on upcoming priority proposals.
Proposal Development (approximately 70%)
- Engage in needs assessment for project proposals as necessary;
- Contribute to program design, for solicited and unsolicited programs, and for pilot and full-scale programs;
- Where proposals are pending with donor agencies, meet with donor officers to ensure program plans represent a good fit with donor objectives;
- Participate in the preparation of funding proposals, including leading proposal writing efforts as well as costing efforts;
- Track country and regional proposal efforts and report to PD team on status;
- Support effective go/no-go decisions and cost share analysis;
- Serve as PD focal point for the countries in Asia that RI works in;
- Build the capacity of regional and country teams in program development; and,
- Ensure review process and submission is completed, within submission deadlines.
- Support building the PD Consultant Roster, identifying potential technical and non-technical individuals to be hired on a short-term basis.
- Undertake travel as required in the pursuit of the above tasks;
- Prepare regular activity reports for HQ;
- Undertake other ad hoc tasks, as instructed by HQ; and,
- Operate within RI policy, setting an example for other field staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to excel in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly, insightfully and persuasively on tight deadlines.
- A strong network of international donor contacts and relationships.
- An outstanding ability to track donor trends that contribute to business development outcomes.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- A passion and ability to work with field teams for sustained periods.
- Masters degree in international relations, business administration or other relevant field
- 5 – 10 years’ minimum experience INGO context, previous work experience with DFID, EU, ECHO, USAID required.
- 10 years’ minimum relevant work experience with progressively increasing responsibility
- Proven success in grant writing, net-working and liaising with field and HQ staff when necessary
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
Please note: Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be processed prior to closing dates listed on any job board.
About the Organization
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RIFrance and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.