Job Title: Regional Technical Advisor for Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
Department: Central Africa Regional Office (CARO)
Job Location: Telecommuting
The RTA for MEAL will provide leadership within the CARO Region to strengthen organizational and staff capacity to design and implement effective monitoring, evaluation, learning and accountability systems. S/he will provide technical assistance to CARO Country Programs, their partners and staff to ensure that projects/programs are monitored as needed, scopes for evaluation reflect key learning questions, high quality external or internal evaluators undertake evaluations, recommendations are adopted and lessons learned are disseminated through channels including CARO Country Programs and the CRS MEAL community of practice.
CARO has a wide range of programs funded by multiple donors, and Country Programs are increasingly requested to provide additional information to demonstrate the impacts of their programs. These programs include significant programming in health and nutrition, WASH, agriculture, livelihoods, resiliency, peacebuilding emergency.
* Providing leadership on all matters pertaining to MEAL in CARO, including but not limited to the use of data for decision-making;
* Developing and implementing a strategic plan for strengthening capacity of Country Program and Regional staff to design and implement MEAL systems as per CRS MEAL Policies and Procedures to improve program quality;
* Ensuring technical MEAL reviews in project design, start-up, implementation and close-out;
* Collaborating with Regional and Country Program staff to realize a learning agenda rooted in evidenced-based approaches.
* Collaborating with Regional and Country Program staff to improve accountability to a range of stakeholders through increased participation, transparent communication, responsive feedback mechanisms, and adherence to internal and external quality standards and requirements
Improving Program Quality:
A primary responsibility for the RTA/MEAL is to strengthen the capacity of Country Program staff to design, implement and utilize MEAL systems to improve program quality:
* Take an active role in promoting implementation of the agency’s MEAL policies and procedures and other agency-wide MEAL initiatives;
* Support Country Programs to design and plan MEAL systems that meet project needs, enable responsiveness to both beneficiaries and donors, and ensure program quality;
* Provide guidance to Country Program teams to effectively collect data, e.g. as part of field assessments, baseline, monitoring, mid-term and final evaluations, including:
* Advising on data collection methodologies and sampling;
* Developing or reviewing instruments for data collection;
Strengthening MEAL Capacity:
The RTA/MEAL will assist Country Programs in strengthening the capacity of both CRS and partner staff to implement and utilize MEAL systems to improve program quality, including:
* Mentor staff from across the region working in MEAL, including facilitating community of practice exchanges; advising on staff development plans; participating in recruitment of country program MEAL staff; supporting onboarding; and identifying and/or facilitating relevant staff development opportunities.
* Deliver on-site capacity building of Country Program staff, including but not limited to MEAL staff, including formal and on-the job staff training and co-facilitation of MEAL training events;
1 Masters degree and equivalent experience, in a field relevant to a senior MEAL position in an international NGO.
2 7-10 years of progressive responsibility in overseas relief and development programs; with 3-5 years experience working for an international agency on MEAL.
3 Thorough familiarity with principles and current approaches to MEAL of relief and development programs using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
4 Experience in data collection, including survey design and training enumerators.
5 Understanding and experience with data management, including database design.
6 Strong experience analyzing data, including both qualitative and quantitative methods, and experience with appropriate software.
7 Experience training others in MEAL, including developing and leading workshops.
Fluency in oral and written communication French and English.
The position will be a telecommuting position, working from a home-base that allows for frequent travel to CARO. The position will require extensive travel (50%) throughout Central Africa and trips to CRS headquarters in Baltimore, as necessary.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.