Chemonics seeks a regional USTDA transaction advisor lead role on the USAID Southeast Asia’s Smart Power Program (SEA-SPP). The Activity will advance economic growth and development in Southeast Asia through ensuring secure and market-driven energy sectors. The program aims to enhance energy security in Southeast Asia by creating open and transparent energy markets, promoting energy trade, and transforming the energy sector to improve access to clean, reliable, affordable energy. The Activity will support US climate priorities to enhance global action for near-term reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and net-zero global emissions by mid-century. SEA-SPP will focus on three objectives:
- Improve performance of energy utilities
- Increase deployment of advanced energy systems
- Enhance energy trade and integration
The regional USTDA advisor position will be based in Bangkok, Thailand with regional travel around the Mekong and Pacific Islands. We are looking for a highly capable professional to accelerate project development, provide independent advice on key transaction issues to host governments as requested, and build the capacity of key ministries. The ideal candidate will have more than 7 years relevant experience, and work experience in Southeast Asia, and a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Serve as advisor and liaison between USAID and USTDA energy and environment programs in the country/region
- Identify, evaluate, and prepare desk study reports for prospective project opportunities for USTDA grant funding, including requests to fund feasibility studies, technical assistance, pilot projects, master plans, engineering and design, or other types of project preparation activities
- Lead pipeline development of new project opportunities for consideration USTDA’s energy and environment portfolio in Southeast Asia
- Support coordination between USTDA and USAID ensuring that USTDA projects are distinct but complementary with USAID and other USG programs
- Coordinate with the USTDA Activity Manager, Regional Manager for Asia, and other USTDA regional staff on business development missions, virtual meetings and conference calls
- Facilitate and expedite prospective project sponsors to navigate USTDA’s application process for project preparation grants. Advise project sponsors on how to structure, revise or enhance proposed activities to be responsive to the USTDA criteria and add value for host country stakeholders and development objectives where relevant
- Conduct assessment of prospective project opportunities
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in commercial investment banks, private equity and/or financial or legal services companies or firms in international finance with demonstrated supervisory experience of complex teams
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, finance, or a related field required; master’s degree preferred
- Experience in originating, analyzing, closing, structuring and post-deal maintenance of financial transactions
- Well-versed in Southeast Asia’s power sector with specific experience in the countries of Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, and/or Vietnam
- Experience working on transactions in collaboration or syndication with international financial institutions to close energy transactions
- Demonstrated track record of excellent and effective communication skills
- Experience working on projects of similar size and scope, preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven experience facilitating communications and coordinating with a wide range of stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English and strong written and oral communications skills required
If you are interested in this opportunity, kindly submit your application to SEA-SPPRecruit@chemonics.com. Submission deadline is May 17, 2021. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
About the Organization
Founded in 1975, Chemonics is an international development consulting firm. In more than 70 countries around the globe, our network of 5,000 specialists share a simple belief: that the challenges we face today are best solved through the right partnerships — sharing knowledge, expertise, and experience to deliver results. As part of our culture and values, Chemonics is proud to be named a “Best Place to Work” in the Human Rights campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index. Where Chemonics works, development works. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or visit us at www.chemonics.com.