The Regional Vice President is a senior management position within the International Development Division’s (IDD’s) leadership team, responsible for providing strategic direction and oversight for a broad geographic area as it pertains to client relationship management, new business development, bilateral program management, financial performance, employee development and engagement, and reputational capital. The Regional Vice President oversees a portfolio of contracts and cooperative agreements, primarily funded by USAID. This position reports to the Division Vice President of IDD and is accountable for the successful performance of existing projects and bringing in new business within the assigned region.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides overall leadership, management, strategy, and vision for the assigned regional management unit with a portfolio of more than $35 million in annual revenue and a two-year pipeline valued at more than $250 million; leads and oversees development and implementation of regional strategy; responsible for unit’s financial management, including profit and loss.
- Serves as a member of the International Development Division’s Leadership Team, actively contributing to the strategic direction of the Division, including business operations decisions, development and implementation of policies and guidelines, strategic resource/talent management, implementation of project management best practices, and division communications.
- Ensures successful implementation and client satisfaction on existing programs in assigned region.
- Develops and leads regional business development strategy and client account management with support from the regional business development partner.
- Provides quality assurance to business development efforts in the region, leading or reviewing strategic proposal efforts.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with clients and partners.
- Oversees regional fiscal year budgets, including revenue and costs and profit and loss.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with other corporate leaders in business units and support departments.
- Liaises with leadership in Abt’s departments to troubleshoot and resolve project issues.
- Consistently models, reinforces and holds self and others to living Abt Values, thereby cultivating a positive work environment.
- Contributes to, influences, supports and aligns with company strategic plans, initiatives changes and decisions
- Cascades corporate and divisional communications to all levels of staff in assigned regional management unit
- Sets team priorities and objectives, translated from organizational priorities, and ensures that employees at all levels in assigned regional management unit have goals
- Ensures staff compliance with corporate mandatory training deadlines, to include compliance, mandatory training, policies and procedures
- Responsible for attraction, retention, and growth of talent of regional staff
- Responsible for regional resource management, including managing staff workloads and billability targets in coordination with other divisional management units.
- Holds self accountable for driving change and adoption in assigned regional management unit.
- Supervises project managers and project directors, who serve as project management leads on multiple contracts and cooperative agreements. Meets regularly with direct reports to align on priorities, actions, owners, and deadlines; holds direct reports accountable to delivering results on organizational priorities.
- Proven experience leading and managing large, complex teams to successfully achieve business objectives.
- Experience managing large, complex USAID and other donor-funded international development projects.
- Experience leading a multi-country portfolio of donor-funded programs preferred.
- Technical expertise in economic growth, governance, climate, energy, public health, international development, or other relevant field.
- Experience developing and successfully implementing a business development strategy.
- Successful track record contributing to winning proposals, particularly with USAID funded bi-lateral and multi-country programs.
- Proven experience building and maintaining strong client relationships, including problem-solving complex project issues with client relationship in mind.
- Strong interpersonal skills and track record of building successful working relationships with staff at all levels to achieve strategic objectives.
- Demonstrable experience leading and building effective teams, identifying talent, managing workloads and assignments, and developing technical, project management, and operational skill-sets in staff.
- Experience leading financial management activities, including target-setting, forecasting, and managing project revenue budgets and operating budgets in line with strategic objectives.
- Proven experience contributing to organization-wide strategic initiatives.
- Experience working with both contracts and cooperative agreements desired.
- Experience working in developing countries required. Particular focus on one or more geographic regions preferred.
- Long-term overseas work experience on a donor-funded program and/or live expertise preferred.
- Fluency in English required; proficiency or fluency in another language(s) highly desired, particularly French and/or Spanish.
- Fifteen (15) + years of relevant experience, of that seven to ten year’s progressive leadership and/or management experience in the specified domain
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Advanced Degree preferred
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.