Chemonics seeks a regulation team leader for the anticipated USAID Papua New Guinea Electrification Partnership Activity. The project aims to contribute significantly to achieving the goal of 70-percent electrification by 2030. The regulation team leader will be based in Port Moresby and will work with the Independent Consumer and Competition Commission (ICCC) to better understand and improve the regulatory framework and infrastructure in PNG to protect customers and improve energy regulations for both public and private sector energy producers. This effort will strengthen the country’s capacity, develop viable off-grid electrification models, enhance Papua New Guinea’s energy regulator, and catalyze private investment for energy projects. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Lead the regulation team’s efforts to work with the government of PNG, electric companies, and private sector energy producers to improve regulations and the regulatory environment to help achieve the 70-percent electrification goal and ensure that customers’ voices are included in the process
- Develop and identify regulatory indicators and benchmarks to show progress towards the goal of 70-percent electrification by 2030, including through participation in work planning and writing reports for USAID demonstrating progression towards the goal
- Coordinate with the staff of USAID, the government, electric companies, and private sector energy producers to lead the team’s response to requests for collaboration, data collection, and reporting requirements
- Ensure data quality and integrity by conducting field visits and spot checks to verify data and investigate any anomalies
- Coordinate with technical teams, regional offices, and relevant stakeholders to ensure that project initiatives match performance targets
- Support overall project goals to ensure performance
- Supervise staff members to ensure the utility reform objective is met
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as law, management, finance, economics, or international development is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the legal or regulatory sector. Experience working on energy issues is preferred
- Experience with large projects delivering technical assistance and other services to public and private enterprises is highly desired
- Experience managing a large team
- Strong spreadsheet/word processing skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, prioritize effectively, and work under pressure
- Ability to convey results to non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to strengthen results to improve programming
- Attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills a must
- Ability to exercise confidentiality and professionalism
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in English, both verbal and written
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Regulation Team Leader – PNG Electrification Partnership Activity” in the subject line to PNGRecruit@chemonics.com by October 25, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted, and we will be interviewing candidates on a rolling basis.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. The EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice is available at: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.