Abt Associates, a global leader in technical assistance, program implementation and international development, seeks qualified individuals to fulfill the position of Renewable Energy Financial Advisor for the USAID Clean Power Asia program, reporting to the Task 3 Lead (Investment Mobilization). The purpose of USAID Clean Power Asia is to accelerate the regional transition to high performing, low carbon power sector. The Activity will assist the governments of the Lower Mekong and other developing countries in Asia in energy planning and help establish effective policy, regulatory, and technical environment for low-emissions growth in the power sector, while simultaneously attracting public- and private-sector investment in Renewable Energy (RE) development. USAID Clean Power Asia is focused on the following resources: solar, wind, small hydro (<15 MW), and biomass residues. The program’s activities are focused on the four Lower Mekong countries of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Vietnam, but also includes activities on the ASEAN regional level.
Work in close coordination with the project team, under the direct supervision and guidance of the Task 3 Team Leader, to:
- Support financial institutions, developers, or other relevant stakeholders to develop and secure finance for financing mechanisms/business models for promoting grid-connected renewable energy projects,
- Support banks, financial institutions, and investors to convene standardization for securitization process for financing grid-connected renewable energy projects/programs
- Provide advisory services, technical assistance and capacity building to key players in the RE market, including but not limited to project developers, investors, financial institutions and equity investment vehicles - with the main objective to increase their renewable energy portfolio, endorse diverse project financing mechanisms for RE projects, and build their capacity to conduct proper assessments of RE projects/programs.
- Develop and nurture relationships with key players in RE market, including other donors, government counterparts, private sector actors and others in the region who share the program’s goals.
Position Specific Responsibilities
The Renewable Energy Financial Advisor works under the direct supervision of the Task 3 Team Leader. Overall, the financial advisor will support work in the Mekong countries, and the broader ASEAN, related to mobilize investment from public and private sector into renewable energy as well as to collaborate with other key market players in lead efforts with partners, subcontractors, and others to institute such mechanisms in support of a stronger enabling environment for RE.
Potential activities that the Renewable Energy Financial Advisor will be expected to support include, but are not limited to:
- Assess and promote scalable & replicable business model(s) and financing option(s) for distributed solar PV
- Assess opportunities to scale up investment with capital market tools. Assess and evaluate needs/gaps/barriers to develop de-risking instruments.
- Collaborate and work with relevant stakeholders to develop and promote adoption of standardized power purchase agreement (PPA) for all RE
- Co-organize workshop to build capacity of bankers in lending to RE
- Provide advisory services and technical assistance to key players in RE market
- Conduct market diagnostic of grid-connected RE in LM countries
- Participate in developing and monitoring implementation of the annual work plan
- Support to manage consultants and subcontractors as assigned, including drafting scopes of work, participating in selection and reviewing deliverables and work products.
- Other duties to be determined in conjunction with, the Task Lead, the COP and USAID.
Required Qualifications (candidates not meeting these requirements will NOT be considered)
- A Master’s degree and 5+ years directly relevant experience; or a Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years directly relevant experience in areas such as business, engineering, finance, accounting, or law.
- Proven contacts and relationships (private sector, public/government, finance and investment, climate change/green growth organizations) that can be tapped to support the objectives of the position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the complexities of the RE marketplace and value chain, to include finance and investment, the regulatory environment, and trends—in the Lower Mekong countries and Southeast Asia.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience desired in power and infrastructure-related finance, preferably including renewable energy. Preference for experience gained in investment banking, private equity, commercial banking, public finance institution, law firm, or a globally recognized consulting firm or energy firm.
- Experience managing different aspects of Customer Relations Management (CRM) software, preferably insightly©
- Experience working with or on a USAID funded program or other international donor program.
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing English required.
Desired Qualifications (candidates meeting required qualifications will be viewed preferentially if they have one or more of these additionally desired qualifications)
- Excellent network of contacts in relevant RE investment/finance sectors in Thailand, Lao PDR, Vietnam and Cambodia.
- A proven track-record of successfully bringing projects from idea/concept to implementation.
- Demonstrated success utilizing non-traditional forms of finance to promote project development and realization, such as Green Bonds or Crowdfunding.
- Additional fluency in one or more of the following languages: Vietnamese, Thai, Khmer, and/or Lao.
Relevant Professional Skills (candidates should be able to adequately explain their strengths and weaknesses with regard to the following skills)
- Strong consulting, management and organization skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and adaptable to learning and understanding new things.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environments.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with development agencies, non-governmental organizations, and relevant private sector players.
- Ability to produce quality work products with attention to detail.
Interested candidates may express their interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “RE FINANCIAL ADVISOR” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is July 20, 2018. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
To be considered for the position, your emailed application MUST INCLUDE the following information; failure to provide this information will result in your application being removed from consideration.
- A written expression of interest summarizing your qualifications for the position. The expression of interest MUST ADDRESS EACH OF THE REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS or your application.
- CV clearly indicating work/consulting history and either daily consulting rate or annual compensation for each consultancy/position, stated in currency of payment.
- Preference will be given to nationals of the Lower Mekong countries and those with immediate availability. No allowances, including relocation, will be available to the successful candidate.
- Successful candidate is required to be available for the remaining term of the contract (through June 2021) and is expected to be available for work within 2 weeks of USAID approval of the candidate.
If a candidate is selected for an interview, the following documents will be required. While not required as part of the initial application, Abt appreciates candidates who chose to submit these documents as part of the application package:
- US Federal Form 1420 (EBD) https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17
- Proof of Education/Degree attained (transcript or diploma)
- Proof of annual salary or daily consulting rate as stated in the EBD (acceptable forms include employment agreement, pay stubs, employer verification letter).
Due to the volume of anticipated applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled as warranted and may be conducted in person or via electronic means.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com