Join the Media Platform for the Global Development Community.
You: an energetic, personable and motivated emerging journalist with superb research and writing skills.
Us: a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world through our audience of 1 million aid workers and development professionals.
If you’re eager to use your reporting chops to make a real difference for people everywhere and to help build one of the most exciting new media platforms in the world, we’d love to meet you. You’ll find at Devex an opportunity to carve out your own place in the world, learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an energizing culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun).
Why this position is great for you:
- We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- Our news team gets to know some of the most inspiring leaders in the world, from celebrities to philanthropists to aid workers making a difference on the ground
- We produce a mix of content, including full-length features, and have a sustainable business model to do it
- Professionals at Save the Children, CARE, ONE, Gates Foundation and more rely on us to be in-the-know
- We’re a young, dynamic company that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- No bureaucracy here: you’ll get to own your work and will get the support you need
- Want to get ahead? We’re filled with stories of people who joined Devex and moved up, and up, and up. And that’s exactly what we’re looking for from you
- Like to travel? There are lots of opportunities to get out to where the stories are happening
- Develop sources and get the inside story at major development institutions, primarily Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Cover events, interview experts, tweet and produce content for our website and newsletters
- Produce a combination of news stories plus some features and video interviews
Desired Skills and Experience
- Journalism experience, including web media, social media, or video and photography
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- Experience in the developing world and a global mindset
- Strong knowledge of global affairs and passion for issues in international development, especially knowledge of the German development community and neighboring countries, including Scandinavia
- Experience at a major English-language publications
- Existing work authorization in Europe
- Experience working with or covering major development institutions, from leading NGOs to foundations to donor agencies
- Local source network with European development community, particularly within Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Network of contacts in international development, humanitarian aid and global health
- A solid grasp of business journalism learned on the job
- You haven’t just heard of the World Bank and the Gates Foundation; you actually know what they do and how they work
Part-time or full-time positions are available in Frankfurt, Bad-Homburg, and the surrounding areas.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Cover letters would be preferred, but are not required.
Interested? Start the conversation by submitting your application today!
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people.
An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona, Manila, and Tokyo, and reporters around the world. Our diverse global team includes 100 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world. Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.