Request for Technical Experts in Agriculture, Economic Growth, Disaster Relief and Resilience, and Youth Empowerment
The Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) seeks short-term technical experts to provide thought leadership and technical design support, conduct research, and draft, edit, and review technical concept papers.
Areas of Expertise sought include:
- Agriculture: agribusiness, agriculture investment, extension and advisory services, Fall Army Worm/pest management, women and youth in agriculture, and others.
- Economic Growth: SME development, market linkages, private sector development, trade and regulatory reform, competitiveness, energy, finance, expertise/familiarity implementing DCA programs, and others.
- Disaster Relief and Resilience: expertise/familiarity with OFDA, FFP, humanitarian assistance, promotion/development of resilience programming, and others.
- Youth Empowerment: workforce readiness, technical and vocational training, and others.
Technical experts will be called upon on an as-needed basis to provide a range of in-house services to VEGA staff and members, including but not limited to:
- Generating sound, innovative, and relevant ideas for inclusion in technical concept papers. These ideas will be rooted in the experts’ knowledge and understanding of current development trends in their sector and combined with a historical understanding of the development context.
- Facilitating technical brainstorming and program development sessions between VEGA staff and members that become the basis of technical concepts.
- Conducting research that facilitates and strengthens program designs and the development of concept papers.
- Serving as the technical lead writer in the development of concept papers.
At this stage, no travel is expected for the positions. The positions are based in Washington, DC.
- Master’s degree in fields related to the technical area of expertise;
- Minimum 10 years work experience in a relevant technical area;
- Experience working in international development, especially USAID-funded programs;
- Experience or interest in volunteerism, particularly in the context of international development;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including concept paper and proposal development skills;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work successfully on time-sensitive activities;
- Demonstrated facilitation skills a plus.
How to Apply
Interested candidates meeting the minimum qualifications should submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com, with the subject line: “Technical Expert: [technical area]”.
Applications are due by May 11, 2018. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Organization
Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) is a consortium of 24 member NGOs that generate more prosperity through partnerships that bring together highly skilled volunteers with people around the globe seeking opportunities for self-reliance. Since 2004, VEGA has partnered with the U.S. government on 65 economic growth programs in 50 countries, saving more than $33 million taxpayer dollars and nearly doubling the program value through cost share and leverage, including more than 45,000 days of volunteer service.
VEGA was founded in 2004 as a procurement partner responsive to a call from United States Agency for International Development (USAID) for a consortium to coordinate highly skilled volunteers into economic growth programs.