PSI seeks a Research Advisor for HIV & TB to be based in Washington, DC. The Research Advisor is the health area research lead at PSI, impacting policy and program strategy through learning, transparency, and dissemination. S/he will serve as PSI’s HIV and TB research resource and will continuously improve the organization’s evidence base, produce actionable analyses to strengthen program implementation, and diffuse findings to internal and external stakeholders via publications and presentations. The ultimate aim of this position is to provide strategic direction to PSI in HIV & TB research and to produce an ongoing systematic review of study findings to influence programs and policies. The position will require approximately 30% travel, will work closely with the Reproductive Health Research Advisor, and reports directly to the Deputy Director, HIV and TB, The Research Advisor will be responsive to donor requests and will work through regional- and country-level researchers as appropriate.
- Provide strategic guidance for research and program evaluation for interventions in the following areas:
- Key populations at higher risk of HIV infection, HIV counseling and testing, prevention among PLHIV, HIV care and treatment, male circumcision, behavior change communications, sexually transmitted infections, PMTCT, tuberculosis, integrated services.
- Document and disseminate research findings and translate research findings in to policies, best practices and minimum standards within PSI and externally:
- Develop concept papers, toolkits and training materials
- Present at international conferences and meetings and coordinate conference abstracts to highlight research at country, regional, and organizational-levels
- Develop and disseminate research briefs and publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Evaluate effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of HIV and TB interventions using both population level data and MIS data. Methods can include non-experimental, quasi-experimental or experimental designs
- Improve existing standard HIV and TB research tools and M&E indicators that are responsive to stakeholder needs
- Seek funding for and ,implement operations research
- Support New Business Development and with the HIV/TB team to provide technical inputs for key proposals, particularly for the research and evaluation sections
- Collaborate with external institutions and researchers working on relevant and related research to meet and share research findings, policy implications and best practices
- Provide technical assistance, supervision and quality assurance in developing logical frameworks, study designs, data analysis, report writing for strategic research
- Build capacity among researchers at the regional and country level, particularly for strategic research studies, including HIV and STI surveillance surveys, population size estimation for key populations, operations research, program evaluation, and dissemination of research findings
- Supervise researchers and consultants as needed
- Medical degree or PhD in public health, epidemiology, behavioral sciences, population studies/demography, or a related field
- 4+ years professional experience in the design, analysis, dissemination, and management of research pertaining to HIV and TB interventions in developing countries
- Knowledge or experience with monitoring and evaluation
- Management of multiple research studies and capacity building of in-country research staff
- Design and implementation of operations research and population-based surveys
- Extensive knowledge of a statistical analysis program (SPSS, STATA or SAS); strong analysis skills
- Experience designing qualitative studies and analyzing qualitative data preferred
- Publication in peer-review journals preferred
- Ability to develop research training tools and materials for a variety of contexts, learning curves and needs
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time internationally
- Excellent written, verbal and inter-personal communication skills
Preference will be given to candidates with work experience in low- and middle-income countries, knowledge of public health issues and social marketing products, ability to speak French, Spanish, or Portuguese, and/or familiarity with the international donor development community.
Please apply online at www.psi.org.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation.