Faculty Global Health Research Associate
Department of Epidemiology
Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland School of Medicine
A full-time Faculty Research Associate in Epidemiology that will be based full-time in Nigeria or Zambia. The primary goal of the scientist is to further research and implementation science in the UMB Nigeria or Zambia office.
- Undertake advanced analysis of existing program data and datasets to answer questions of interest from a program improvement and implementation science perspective. The scientist will support all COPs in analyzing their program data to identify existing gaps.
- Work with SI team to ensure analytic data sets can be created from electronic medical record data.
- The Research Associate will support the Technical Director or Principal Investigator in conducting evaluations (mid-term and end-line) of programs, as well as designing an implementing such protocols. Finally the scientist will assist with grant development, particularly research-oriented grants such as NIH.
- The Research Associate will also help to build research and writing capacity among in-country staff. This will mean mentoring young researchers and developing skills among study nurses and other support staff.
- Generate outcome and impact evidence from multiple data sources for use by the Technical Leads to inform organizational strategy and program design. Report on the project’s Performance Monitoring Plans (PMP) in collaboration with field program and MEPM Teams.
- Work with HQ technical leadership to integrate relevant components into MEPM frameworks.
- Support in the collection and monitoring of all MEPM activities under projects – this includes reviewing data collection tools, supervising and/or conducting reports from fieldwork, conducting data analysis and interpretation of findings.
- Lead design of public health evaluations and contribute to methods development for Implementation Science projects
- Actively participate and contribute to publications in peer reviewed journals and other program briefs and manuscripts
- Provide data collection and outcome indicator input for MEPM development for proposal preparation
- This is a full-time position in Nigeria or Zambia, international assignment compensation and benefits are included.
- PhD in epidemiology or biostatistics with research experience and publications.
- Prior experience in monitoring, designing, and implementing programs in health, HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH, or health systems strengthening, with demonstrated supervision experience.
- Prior experience in using electronic medical records
- Experience in impact and evaluation studies design and execution
- A familiarity with US Government Agencies and PEPFAR reporting requirements.
- Analysis and data management skills as well as demonstrated analytical skills and experience in identifying and evaluating best practices and state-of-the-art approaches to be utilized by public health projects
- Experience working in global health and in developing countries
- Experience working with statistical software platforms (R, STATA, SAS, SPSS etc.),
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with donors, ministries of health, project partners
- Ability to train and develop mid-level staff capacity in data collection, analysis, and use
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, and contact information for 3 references to: Kstafford@ihv.umaryland.edu.
About the Organization
The University of Maryland School of Medicine offers a competitive salary and benefits. Appointments are made commensurate with education and experience. The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.